Ex fiance trying to sue me 3 years after the split

Status
Not open for further replies.

camgurl16

I received a letter from an attorney friend of my ex fiance stating he is suing me for the engagement ring, bedroom furniture, and car rims or the value of the items which his lawyer states is $30,000.

We had a joint bank account when we lived together. We purchased the bedroom furniture together in 2005, and my ring was given to me in 2005. Later on he bought me a $4000 dog as a valentines day present. When we split we had a verbal agreement that he could keep my dog and I'd keep the ring. Also the car rims were originally his but his car wasn't running for 6 months so he put them on my car for me to use and when his car was back up running he just purchased new rims for his car and told me to keep the old ones.

I no longer have the rims or ring as it was 3 years ago when we split up. I work to help my Mom pay her medical bills and sold my car to help her with bills. Obviously I sold it with the rims on cause it needs wheels to be driven :p I'm not sure what to do or if his case is legit this far down the road?

Ignore the letters.

If he sues you, so what.

You're broke and live in Florida.

You care for mom.

He can't and won't get blood from a turnip.

Besides, unless you do something stupid, the SOL has probably passed (or is nearing) for this kind of suit.

Whatever you do, don't respond to those garbage letters.

Respond only to official court documents.

It's easy to tell the difference!

I agree with Army Judge. Not sure the specifics of florida, but the statue is generally 2 years. In any case, if they were gifts he likely wont get compensation for them. I cant imagine him winning this at all.

What about the old engagement ring? Like I said we had an agreement it was the ring or the dog and he chose the dog. Same thing with the ring as the car I had to help my Mom with medical bills and bankruptcy. In the letter from his lawyer it says they are filing a civil suit in 30 days, should I get a lawyer?

Last edited:
OP, just stop helping that dummy.
Help me, help you!!!

What ring?

He never gave me any ring or rims or a car, nothing!

He gave me grief.

No, I never had a ring.

That's what some people in your position might say.

Hint, hint, hint.

Stop talking, just stop talking, or pay the dummy what he demands.

One last question, his lawyer attached pics of everything he's asking for so I can't say I never had a ring or rims :(

One last question, his lawyer attached pics of everything he's asking for so I can't say I never had a ring or rims :(

Sigh, sigh, sigh; help me, help you!!!

Are you in the pictures?

Are you holding the ring?

You can do as I originally advised, ignore him (thereby saying nothing).

Or, you can do what you're bound to do, contact him and pay up.

Ah, Florida doesn't treat these matters quite so simply. If he has proof that he purchased the ring, OP can lie all she wants - but seriously, it's going to get her nowhere.

Also, since we don't know what type of suit we're talking about (it's far too large an amount for small claims, for example), we cannot say with certainty whether the SOL has expired or not.

OP, come back if and when you are served. Until you are, there's really not much anyone here can do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back