Ex fiance refuses to return property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pricepl

My fiance and I recently ended our engagement. We lived together for aprox. a year and i moved out and took nothing but a suitcase with a few clothes. All of my possessions are still in her home.. Everything i own including furniture, clothes, guns, guitars, music equipment and electronics, appliances, and personal items. In all more than $20,000 in value. She has refused to allow me to return and collect my belongings and now claims they arent even there. She claims i took it all when i left which is an outright lie. What are my legal options to get my property returned to me, and if she has in fact thrown it all out can i sue for my losses or should i press criminal charges for theft? With guns being involved would that not me a felony offense on her part?

Contact your local law enforcement and ask them to go with you to recover the property. They will not assist you in really covering the property, but their presence will prevent any fighting and might make her more cooperative.
How long have you been out of the home? You may not even need her permission to enter.
In the end, anything you do not recover that she either refuses to return or has sold/destroyed you can sue for in civil court. Considering the value that you estimate I would suggest obtaining legal counsel if it goes that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back