Ex claims he is disabled. Won't pay alimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenpo

Ex and I made about equal salaries at divorce. He agreed to non modifiable permanent alimony in order to reimburse for large debts incurred during the marriage without my knowledge during his bipolar episodes. He paid for about a year then got fired due to his bipolar mania. Now he is claiming he can't work more than part time because of his anxiety. But he has freely admitted on texts to me that he is working under the table, he advertises on craigslist for work and even has positive reviews on his photography site for a wedding he did. I can't prove he is getting any income though. He has been denied twice for permanent disability and just keeps appealing. He says he can't work more than part time cause if he does he will ruin his chances with his disability appeals.
At what point can I say enough is enough and file contempt? Will I have a leg to stand on? His personal psych doc says he is too bipolar to work, but the disability doctor says he can find alternative full time employment. I have heard that even with non modifiable alimony if the other party proves significant change in circumstances beyond their control they can still get the judgement altered.

I wanted to give him a chance. I am trying not to be cold hearted. If he is disabled, then so be it. But he has a long history of manic episodes and walking off jobs when he gets upset, then turns around and finds another position after a few weeks. But now he has found someone willing to pay half his bills and he has decided part time under the table work is tax free and more flexible. Now that he has been denied disability after medical review twice I am not so sympathetic to his situation. But I am wondering will the judge side with his personal doctor or the government disability physician?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back