Ex boyfriend got me a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amandahoward

Jurisdiction
Texas
My ex got me a car, while we we're together, in his name. I payed the down payment, the car note, and the insurance, which had my name as well as his. We broke up and I wanted to know if I can get my money back

Probably not. The difference in value from when you got the car and the value today is what you paid to use it. In other words, you rented it from him. You would have to have insurance if you owned it so you wouldn't get that back either.

Why was the car in his name if you paid the down payment, loan and insurance?

My ex got me a car, while we we're together, in his name. I payed the down payment, the car note, and the insurance, which had my name as well as his. We broke up and I wanted to know if I can get my money back

The car is LEGALLY his car, not yours.

Why?

Because HIS name, not your name, on the title makes the car LEGALLY his.

The monies you expended are considered gifts under our laws.

As was mentioned the title to the car is in your boyfriend's name, which means he owns the car regardless of the payments made by yourself. Whether or not you can get some money back as a result of some verbal agreement is a whole other question. We don't know enough to come to any reasonable conclusion but the assumption is that it could be difficult if you took the matter to small claims court.

The only way you will get any money back is if he decides to gift you some amount out of the goodness of his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back