eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyn22

Can a landlord with no lease kick me and my son out from living with my 88 year old mom's home ,especially when I care for her since she's taken ill 2 years ago,and she's lived here for 28 years without a late payment...and no lease

The landlord can attempt to evict you, but unless a court orders you out you do not have to leave.
It sounds like things could get worse if you don't smooth things over with the landlord. Maybe it is time to look for somewhere else to live just in case?

You may not have a written lease but by statute the tenancy is month to month.
Either the landlord or the tenant can end the lease with proper notice.
If the landlord gives proper notice and someone fails to leave then he may attempt to evict them through the court.
The landlord can bring eviction against any or all occupants, but he must follow the rules set in law to do so legally.

It's important for the OP to understand that in the absence of a written lease mom (not the OP or her son) has a month to month tenancy with the landlord. Such tenancies can typically be ended with the appropriate written notice (generally a 30 day written notice, although in some states...mine, for example, the landlord must provide 60 days). No reason for terminating such a tenancy need be provided.

If the tenant fails to move after this time period the landlord can then proceed with the eviction process through the court system.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back