Eviction was dismissed and now what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny79tx

I am renting an apartment in Colorado, and a couple of months ago I lost my job and was out of work for a month. I told the apartment manager my situation, and he agreed to let me make partial payments until I got caught up, which I have been doing. A couple weeks ago, I was served eviction papers. I tried to get ahold of the manager, but was referred to the assistant manager, who told me that it wasn't enough that I was making payments, and that they had deceided not to accept my last payment.
I went to court and told their attorney my side. He seemed confused and told me that I should talk to the apartment manager again about a payment arrangement. I went to the manager again, and he was not there. I left messages with him. Later that same day I was served with another set of eviction papers. This time the amount of money I owed was different, because the last payment I had made which the assistant manager told me they had rejected, had been subtracted from the amount I previously owed.
I tried for 2 days to talk to the manager. He would not return my calls, and he was always out of the office. The assistant manager finally talked to me and rudely told me that I had to go, and that I needed to be out in 3 days, or he would call the sherriff. I am a little more savvy than to believe that, so I went back to court, and spoke with another of their attorneys. The attorney found that the second papers that were served to me were never filed in court, and the cases against me were dismissed.
The assistant manager came to me door yesterday and asked me what I was still doing here, because he had told me to be out by then. I told him that the case had been dismissed, and asked if we could start another payment arrangement. He said that it would be in my best interest to leave asap, because he was going to charge me for the lawyer fees, and then call sherriff to remove me and keep my posessions as payment for the rent I owe. I know that he can't evict me without an order from the court, and I know that in Colorado the only thing he can keep is my tv. What do I do now? I still want to pay the money that I owe, but can the apartment start this process all over again? And are they allowed to verbally threaten me with these things?Thanks!

The reason his attorneys were confused was because of the "payment arrangement." By making one he modified the lease and waived his right to file for eviction. Keep the payment arrangement with him and he will not be able to evict you. I don't know what he was thinking but he screwed himself if he wants to evict you. He made a waiver to your lease and his lawyer is stunned.

Need Help again, please!

Okay, so I was just served papers again! This time, it has a Notice to Quit, that was never given to me. I really do not know what to do! Should I contact a lawyer and fight this. Can I be served 3 times for the same thing? This will be the third time in 3 weeks I have had to take time off to deal with this. I don't want to move, because I really do not think I have done anything wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Answer the Notice by saying that the Landlord (or his manager) waived the rental default by negotiating and accepting another rental arrangement. Bring canceled checks to show you kept your end of the bargain and to prove there was a bargain. He will have a hard time evicting you if he is taking rental payments with extra in it. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back