Eviction of live in girl friend from my home

richg8

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I am the sole owner of my home in NJ. I'm interested in learning the quickest, legal way to "evict" this woman from my home. She has zero equity and zero financial contribution to my home and everything in it or outside of it. I'd expect she would not cooperate with me without me knowing exactly what the law in NJ is for having her removed from my home. thank you.

Typically it starts with giving written notice to vacate by a certain date. You are likely in a situation where 30 days is required, but it could be less since you live at the property. After giving written notice file documents for eviction at the court right away. Don't wait 30 days. The time will elapse before you get a court date and you can cancel it if she leaves willingly before then. At your hearing explain why she must be removed from the residence. She can try to defend but likely lose if she even shows up. After that wait until the date the judge sets for removal and call law enforcement for assistance if she isn't out by then.
An alternative is to offer her a couple hundred bucks to just leave. You might even help pack. Anything that keeps you out if court is a better option.

Typically it starts with giving written notice to vacate by a certain date. You are likely in a situation where 30 days is required, but it could be less since you live at the property. After giving written notice file documents for eviction at the court right away. Don't wait 30 days. The time will elapse before you get a court date and you can cancel it if she leaves willingly before then. At your hearing explain why she must be removed from the residence. She can try to defend but likely lose if she even shows up. After that wait until the date the judge sets for removal and call law enforcement for assistance if she isn't out by then.
An alternative is to offer her a couple hundred bucks to just leave. You might even help pack. Anything that keeps you out if court is a better option.

Many thanks. I appreciate it.

Back