Unlawful Eviction Eviction In Indianapolis, IN

confusedrenter

Hello, I have a question about the eviction process. I live in a rental townhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana owned by a corporation. The rent is due on the first of every month, with a grace period until 4:30pm on the 3rd. This month I was late on my rent. I received an e-mail on June 4th stating my current balance and asking me to pay it. This notice did not make ANY mention of eviction or a date to pay by before the eviction process would start. In a past month when I was late as well, I received an e-mail stating to pay by a certain date and time or they would file the eviction. I was paid on Monday the 8th and was planning on paying my rent with late fees in full. However, at 11am on Monday, the 8th, I received an e-mail stating my account was in eviction status, told me the date of the eviction court date, and stated they had added on attorney and court fees for the eviction process.

Everything I have read about Indiana Eviction seems to imply they have to give a 10 day notice to pay or quit before filing for eviction. This e-mail isn't an actual eviction notice, technically, just stating they are... But it doesn't feel legal. My rent was less than 7 days late and no notice was given before they added on nearly $250 in fees. Is this legal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I have a question about the eviction process. I live in a rental townhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana owned by a corporation. The rent is due on the first of every month, with a grace period until 4:30pm on the 3rd. This month I was late on my rent. I received an e-mail on June 4th stating my current balance and asking me to pay it. This notice did not make ANY mention of eviction or a date to pay by before the eviction process would start. In a past month when I was late as well, I received an e-mail stating to pay by a certain date and time or they would file the eviction. I was paid on Monday the 8th and was planning on paying my rent with late fees in full. However, at 11am on Monday, the 8th, I received an e-mail stating my account was in eviction status, told me the date of the eviction court date, and stated they had added on attorney and court fees for the eviction process.

Everything I have read about Indiana Eviction seems to imply they have to give a 10 day notice to pay or quit before filing for eviction. This e-mail isn't an actual eviction notice, technically, just stating they are... But it doesn't feel legal. My rent was less than 7 days late and no notice was given before they added on nearly $250 in fees. Is this legal?

In many cases, if an eviction proceeding is filed, one can CURE the rent default by paying on cash before the judge in court.

You can check the court's webiste and see if that is possible in Indianapolis.

If an eviction has been filed, you'll be served a summons and proper notice by sheriff's deputy (in many acses), or a process server in others.
You can then often see read other details about the case online at the court's website.

Back