Eviction Process Evicting subleaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitra

So here is a situation. I sublet my apartment for about 6 months. Ok, I admit I did it wrong but it is what it is... I never said the exact day to the subleter and we don't have written agreement. Starting second months he started paying late and on 4th month he paid on 18 instead of beginning of the month. Now he's on second month and it's 16 and I havn't heard from him for the last 5 days. I send him text, calls, emails and nothing. I sent him test to get back to m and pay withing 3 days or move out. Nothing... I'm on the lease, so I got into the apartment and see that he completely trashed the place. The water was running in the sink and it was just so filthy. S$%t all over the toilet, carpet is ruined, etc. I have all my furniture there and he is using it.
So my question is how do I get rid of him and let him move? When this issue came up I googled him and he already had been evicted. I know i have been naive and made mistake by renting this person who completely violated my trust (he promised to keep it clean and pay on time and he doesn't!!) but i really need to get out of this mess. What do I do? I researched the DC eviction law and he has all rights to stay even though he doesn't pay and I have no right to do anything! It's crazy! How can I kick him out fast? how long does eviction process takes. I already came clean to the landlord and they are willing to help.
Please help!!!

The only legal way to get him out is to evict him.
Google "eviction DC Courts".
That'll show you how.
Be advised, the process will take you 2-4 months to complete.
You might wish to read YOUR lease.
In many cases, you can't sublet.
If you can't sublet, the landlord might have to bring the action. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your answer!
What if the person disappeared or just left? I mean he is not in the apartment for days. There are couple of items like shirts, about 5 books, very little clothes and it's about it. What if he left and will never show up? What can I do? Wait for 4 months and pay for him?
Can I speed up the process since he damaged some of my furniture?
Thank you!

Thank you so much for your answer!
What if the person disappeared or just left? I mean he is not in the apartment for days. There are couple of items like shirts, about 5 books, very little clothes and it's about it. What if he left and will never show up? What can I do? Wait for 4 months and pay for him?
Can I speed up the process since he damaged some of my furniture?
Thank you!

Google "tenant abandoned rental unit YOUR STATE"

Now it's become FAR more difficult for you.
He's the legal tenant on your illegal sublet of your once legal unit.
You might want to pay the remaining lease and leave the unit.
I'd consult a local attorney before doing anything.
It might also be time to speak to the REAL landlord/property owner.

You can't legally say who damaged your furniture UNLESS you saw it happen.
You really need a lawyer first, then you will have it ALL explained for you.

Thank you for your answer.
I already talked to the apartment management. So they know. And I'm on month to month lease, so I can leave anytime with the 30 days notice. I'm fine with leaving the unit. Can I do it after I cover my lease? I don't have any agreement with that person, besides verbal. And we agreed on 3 month for sure and than month to month. It's 5th month right now for which he didn't pay. Also I think he tried to flood the place because when I entered the apartment the sink was full of dishes and water was on full blast. I know it's a mess but I need to figure it out and get out of it. Thank you for your help

You will be on the hook for all the damage as well.
This sounds like it will be expensive for you.

Posting the notice if abandonment seems to be the priority now. You probably have to wait ten days or so for a response. Become familiar with the process and utilize the property management for assistance.

I'll write it once more again.
It's generally a very big risk in taking in a boarder or subletting. The reward is much less than the potential or perceived risk.
You tend to lose, the deadbeat tends to win at your expense.
You're wearing ALL the risk.
Wearing RISK is always risky. LOL
Seriously, just don't do it.
It's like letting another person use your toothbrush, except it's harmful financially, rather than medically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back