Evicting my son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadiva

My son is 21 years old. He has no job and it has become clear to me by is actions that he is not looking for one. He does not pay rent or any other bills in my home. I pay childcare for his 4 year old son and provide other needs for my grandson as they arise. He went to jail last year for possession of marijuana and I bonded him out of jail and baby sat him here at my house until his court date which was January 4,2012. On that day, I told him he had 30 days to find a job and move out. Of course that deadline has come and gone unmet. He did register for school and start and I am currently paying for that. I told him Easter Sunday that he needed to find somewhere to live and he could no longer live in my home because he brings drama and makes me uncomfortable in my own home. His response was, I have looked it up and you have to give me an eviction notice before you can put me out. My question is..... Is there any truth to that? Do I really need an eviction notice and if so how do I do that and does it cost money to do so?

Yes, unfortunately you'll have to evict him per the legal process of your state even though he doesn't pay rent and there is no official lease.

Start reading here

Your local courthouse should also be able to point you to the right forms at the very least.

And Mom/Dad?

Please - I know you think you're doing the right thing - but you've GOT to stop enabling him! Stop paying for everything! He's never going to learn if you keep doing that!

Mom or Dad: Ultimately, it'll be your choice, a very tough choice. However, expect the entire process to take six to nine weeks, maybe longer if he resists. Yes, even deadbeats have rights in the good, old USA.

Have you given any thought about what might happen to your grandchild?
Please consider that when the sheriff comes to remove the deadbeat, he'll probably drag the innocent child into homelessness with him!
Now, if you have custody of your grandson, that might be prevented.
Where's the gandchild's mother?

Yes I know I am a big enabler and I told him on Easter Sunday that I would no longer be able to support him and all of his issues. fortunately, my grandson has a wonderful mother and he lives with her. I do a lot of what I do for him to help her because she is in school full time and working. Thank you for the good information. I guess I will be headed to the courthouse next week.

There is another way of looking at it... you only need to follow the eviction process if you are concerned that your son might sue you for civil damages after booting him out improperly.
If you want him out, just boot him out cold turkey... just know that if he has the means and the will to do it, he could potentially sue you. From the description you give I bet it is unlikely he would know where to start, and just might be the wake up call he needs.

There is another way of looking at it... you only need to follow the eviction process if you are concerned that your son might sue you for civil damages after booting him out improperly.
If you want him out, just boot him out cold turkey... just know that if he has the means and the will to do it, he could potentially sue you. From the description you give I bet it is unlikely he would know where to start, and just might be the wake up call he needs.

Thanks mightymouse I'm inclined to totally agree with you.

And Mom/Dad?

Please - I know you think you're doing the right thing - but you've GOT to stop enabling him! Stop paying for everything! He's never going to learn if you keep doing that!

Yes I know I am a big enabler and I told him on Easter Sunday that I would no longer be able to support him and all of his issues. fortunately, my grandson has a wonderful mother and he lives with her. I do a lot of what I do for him to help her because she is in school full time and working. Thank you for the good information. I guess I will be headed to the courthouse next week.

Mom or Dad: Ultimately, it'll be your choice, a very tough choice. However, expect the entire process to take six to nine weeks, maybe longer if he resists. Yes, even deadbeats have rights in the good, old USA.

Have you given any thought about what might happen to your grandchild?
Please consider that when the sheriff comes to remove the deadbeat, he'll probably drag the innocent child into homelessness with him!
Now, if you have custody of your grandson, that might be prevented.
Where's the gandchild's mother?

No worries, you're simply a parent who loves their child.
Do what you must and God bless.
Your grandchild will be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back