Evicting a roommate not on the lease

M

MzTyme

Jurisdiction
Maryland
We recently rented a house in Prince George's County Maryland less than 30 day ago. A friend needed a place to stay for a while but could not pay the full rent we charge our other tenants. This friend has since violated the safety of our house with some unsavory folks he hangs with. Can we put him out now since he has not paid his full rent as agreed upon and it has been under 30 days? And if so, how would my husband go about it?

We are the main renters along with our 14 yr old son.

Then your "friend" is your tenant (from day one) and you are his landlord, both subject to the Maryland landlord tenant statutes.

You have an oral rental agreement with him that he pay a reduced rent. That's a tenancy at will. As long as he pays the rent on time you may terminate his tenancy for any reason by giving him one month written notice to the end of the rent period.

You may change the rent amount also with one month written notice to the end of the rent period.

However, if you want him out sooner, it will have to be for cause and how soon you can get him out depends on what

violated the safety of our house with some unsavory folks he hangs with

actually means. And for that you need to be real careful that you don't cross the line into wrongful eviction.

If the tenant's behavior demonstrates a clear and imminent danger of the tenant or person doing serious harm to themselves, other tenants, the landlord, the landlord's property or representatives, or any other person on the property you need only give 14 days written notice of termination.

violated the safety of our house with some unsavory folks he hangs with

Is in the eye of the beholder and, so far, you haven't convinced me that the 14 day notice applies so I suggest that you collect his rent on the rent due date and give him his one month written notice of termination.

Meantime, if you want to continue subletting to roommates you had better become familiar with the statutes:

2015 Maryland Code :: REAL PROPERTY :: Title 8 - LANDLORD AND TENANT

Back