Evict drug addict roommate

hwytstr13

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I have a roommate who was never on the lease and has been just month to month subletting. He's late with rent despite making 4 times my income and he is making threats to make false allegations to the police against us in order to cause us significant trouble if we don't allow him to stay. I still want him out because he is using hard drugs and we have found evidence in our apartment of the drug use. He has in the past made false allegations to police that resulted in loss of personal belongings getting confiscated and that's what he intends to do again now that we have purchased a new computer that we are still financing. He's also very intimidating, loud and hostile and I'm afraid to be around him. What can we do to get rid of the coke head?

If he physically attacks one of you, or damages property, it might be easier and quicker to get him removed by filing for a protective order.

Otherwise, you'll have to formally evict the addict.

If he is using drugs, or has possession of same, call the police and he'll be arrested and removed on the spot.

During his absence, it might be possible to seek a protective order, which also eliminates the problem.

If he's got drugs in the place, you can report that to the police. You can seek a restraining order. You can seek to evict him. You can move out yourself and move elsewhere.

Back