Evict a roommate on lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limetwister

To anyone who can help,

I am sorry if this has been asked, but I cannot seem to find information on this situation.

Anyway, I am a college student, and I signed a one year lease for a house back in April and (unfortunately) another roommate signed the lease as well. I thought I knew him pretty well; however, as with most cases, I did not. After the lease was signed, he turned into the roommate from Hell. He doesn't clean his dishes, his dog poops and pees in the living room and even on another roommate's bed (there are three of us altogether), this list continues. Last month, his check bounced. He ended up repaying the landlord the late fees; therefore, the landlord has no financial reason to evict him. However, he is breaking the lease by having a dog and leaving the common areas unsafely dirty (He cooked chicken in a pot two months ago and has left the pot on the stove ever since--with grease and chicken bits still in it) . I have six more months on the lease, but I really just want him to leave. We're trying to convince him to leave, but he doesn't appear to be willing to move.

The landlord said that he could not just evict one roommate, he would have to evict all of us. I am trying to find any possible way to get the roommate OUT without being evicted myself. I am talking to the landlord to see what kind of options I have, but he doesn't really have many suggestions. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

I hope this makes sense, I tried to summarize the situation as best as possible. I don't know what to do. I realize that signing the lease with the roommate was probably stupid on my part, but it was my first time renting a house. I know it complicates everything, but am I truly expected to live in these conditions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Joseph

Also, I wrote the state under the title, but I don't see it in the post...I live in NC, if that helps.

Last edited:
Here is another option:

I am willing to let my other roommates stay there and attempt to be released from the lease. Does anyone know how to get off the lease if another roommate is on the lease? I am willing to pay, that's not the problem. I don't even care about the security depsoit. I just want out. Part of the lease indicates that I am supposed to live in the house. I don't want to...I really just want out of this whole situation.

If the landlord agrees, will he have to dissolve the whole lease, or can he release only me from the lease. If he can release only me, am I expected to pay the full amount of money, or will some of the responsibility fall on the other roommate.

A little more information: there are three of us living in the house, but only two of us are on the lease. Again, there are 6 months left on the lease.

Please help...this is very stressful.

Thank you,
Joseph

Q: Does anyone know how to get off the lease if another roommate is on the lease?

A: Talk to the landlord. Money talks loudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back