Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant evading arrest- vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio2978

Hello, my name is sergio
about 3 months ago i got pulled over while diving my motorcycle at the time i had my friend ridding with me so i didnt see the cop when he stop me further down the rode another cop that was facing me saw the one behind me that i didnt see and turned on its lights took a u turn and stop me. but on that one since it was in front of me i did see it so i immediately stop. so when the other cop got there he immediately arrested me for "evading arrest", i tryed to explain that i never saw him behind me but he took me in amyways.
Two months later i had my court and i tought i was just going to get a sitation but when i got there the judge told me i needed to take a laywer and asked if i could pay for one. At the time i tought i could but now looking around and seeing prices i see i cant really affored one.
My question is what would happen if i show up again with no laywer, or if i show up and ask for an apponted state attorney??? :confused:

When you go back simply advise the court you were unable to obtain counsel and ask them to appoint someone for you.

If it is as you say it should easily be defeated. So long as you did not accelerate away from the first officer or make any quick turns that made it look like you were actually trying to evade then you are fine. Failure to see the officer and stop immediately is a far cry from evading.

As we call it here, because it seems to happen a lot, it is "slow to yield" rather than "failure to yield".

You should get out of this with a citation for whatever you were being stopped for to begin with, and possibly an added infraction of distracted driving or something to that effect to account for your failure to stop promptly.

At the same time... if you were driving at high speed, or accelerated away from the officer, or made any quick turns, then you can expect the evading charge to stick, and you will have difficulty keeping your license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back