Ethics and Retention of Lawyer

Robert_L

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I am dire need of legal advice of what I should do about my current contingency lawyer, ASAP please.

I was injured in a car accident two years ago and the litigation runs out mid November. I spoke with my lawyer about the offer return from the auto insurance of the person that caused the accident and I did not agree with the amount. My lawyer then made me feel insulted, told me despite the fact that I am still treating that it doesn't matter especially to the auto insurance, and that once we filed an extension of litigation it is no longer in our hands and the defense's attorney will make the decisions which would lead to no extra time to treat. I did read on another site that the plaintiff's lawyer is the one that needs to be on top of something like that otherwise the plaintiff plays defense. A lot of the ideas the lawyer has pitched I believe are scare tactics, but I would like some opinions. I feel that I no longer want to employee this lawyer and I read that I would still pay contingency if I settle on my own, which I plan on doing. I am willing to pay the contingency if I win. Do I have to pay anything else?

Also, I'd like to mention this same firm I had evaluate a case a year and a half back and when I requested my medical records they sent me someone else's and wouldn't tell me where mine went and demanded I send them the wrong records immediately. Since then they have been short and rude to me especially when I showed concern about my medical records and if the person was informed I received their's.

Thank you in advance and please excuse my ignorance

No one can tell you what to do about your lawyer.
Whatever you do is your choice alone.
You can terminate his services.
You can then hire another attorney.

That's about it.
What you need to understand, insurance companies no longer operate like a money cow.
There was a time in this country where you could get money from certain accidents.
The old milk cow gave it up, lots of it.
Unfortunately, that cow, Bessie, died.
Her replacement is a bull.
Yeah, Old Toro doesn't fill the bucket with milk.
Toro occasionally can be coaxed into giving up a gallon or two of milk.
Its rare if Toro gives up an eight ounce glass of the wonderful stuff.

Finally, when your lawyer prefers to get you a $500,000 settlement.
The more you get, the more she or he gets.

Sorry, the choice is yours alone.
If your injuries were more severe, Toro has the capacity to fill a couple milk buckets.
Thank God your injuries aren't that bad.

As far as what you would owe your lawyer, read the retainer you received.
What, no retainer?
No problem, ask your lawyer in writing by certified letter, return receipt requested.
No one but you could ever know what you must pay your lawyer, because that's privileged information.
Good luck.

Thank you,

I was however in a very similar accident years ago and was able to get much more than the lawyer can get. This lawyer wants to settle for $1,000 when I can get 10x that alone. I did seek advice from another lawyer, family friend so no charge, and he said he'd settle for $10,000. I am afraid to fire the lawyer and then they slap me with this huge hourly bill vs the contingency

Back