Estate question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisVines

Ok so I have a question that I hope you will answer to the best of your knowledge. I am 17 years old and my mother died last year she has left me with everything she had, surely I'd rather have my mom back but I've realized that's not going to happen so I must make the best of what she has given and keep it safe. The only problem with that is there is people out there that will use and manipulate you. My aunt is the trusty and my uncle is the executor. He has the right to with hold money and dish out money as I need it or if he deems it fit for my future which I am more than ok with. But I have been living in an apartment with a room mate and they have provided my ROOM MATE $500 dollars a month for keeping me but it's my roommate? My aunt and uncles understanding is that she is an independent living worker but I'm not in foster care so that would not apply. It does say in the will that.. "the trustee can advance money to or on behalf of my son (me) as apposed to supporting a lifestyle or life choices which are inconsistent with this oblective." I don't think paying my room mate to keep me is supporting my life style due to the fact I pay half the rent am I right or am I just being over protective?

Question number two; my aunt and uncle give me about $1500 a month as help from the estate my mother left me. my roommate has gone behind my back and has taken all of it for the past three months I lived with her to pay her bills leaving me with nothing but $200 for my allowance each month. She does pay it back but by the end of the month but just barely. I know it's accounted for which is all my aunt and uncle care about but what about what I care about? I feel this is a high risk situation for the estate money and don't want to look like an idiot perusing my concerns to the officials.

This money is all I have left in the name of my mother. The money means nickels to me but she left it to support my future while she is gone something she was doing when she was here and I'm going to try and use the resources she has left and use them for the purposes she has left them for. Is what my room mate doing wrong? Thank you.

My condolences upon the loss of your mother. I feel your pain, it's real.
You're in shock and grieving and the jackals ate surrounding you, poised to devour your future.

This is a time to be very wary of everyone. You're asking the correct questions. You need to remain suspicious, but don't become paranoid.

I suggest you discuss your concerns with the police. Ask them what (if anything) they can do, or who you might approach to discuss the problems you're encountering.

You can also chat with a solicitor or barrister.

Whatever you do, don't seek information about money from strangers (or as you're learning), from friends, family, and/or strangers via the Internet (or even face to face).

Stay strong, but death can bring out the worse in people. You need to be around people that you can trust. Some people are around you to steal and will rob you blind. I've seen it many times.

You need to leave your current living arrangement. You're being seen as prey, the roommate might be a predator grooming you.

Forget legalities, seek safety and shelter.

Why not temporarily move in with aunt and uncle, or ask them to rent you a room until you turn 18?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back