Estate Mediator not accepting calls, Has my daughter's trust money

Yaritza

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My daughter's father passed on October 2017. He left his house to our daughter in his will. Because he died in a horrible accident on the property, we decided to sell the house. His side of the family acquired the services of a local mediator. The house sold in early late 2018 and my daughter's uncle received money from the mediator in February. Enough that he stated he was buying property with this money. My daughter has yet to receive her trust. Every time I contacted the mediator, she told me she was too busy to talk. After a month of trying to connect with her, we spoke and she stated that there was still money owed to the property and the final numbers were not in yet. Also, that they needed to settle with the grandmother. This was in February. She promised she would call me a week later. It has been three months and she is not accepting my calls. I left multiple messages and have received no response. Some of the deceased family members contacted her as well to see what's the delay but to no avail. When I call, the phone rings 2 times then goes to voicemail. Today I called again and it a stated that the mailbox was full. First, I don't understand how if there is till money owed to the property, why other family members are receiving money. My daughter is 13 and I want to protect her and her future. I don't know what to do. This has become very stressful for me. I don't know if I need to acquire a lawyer. What do I need to do? Is this normal. I don understand mediators are busy people but to get follow up for months is inappropriate and poor business practice. i filed a complaint today with the BBB because i don't know what else to do.

My daughter's father passed on October 2017. He left his house to our daughter in his will. Because he died in a horrible accident on the property, we decided to sell the house. His side of the family acquired the services of a local mediator. The house sold in early late 2018 and my daughter's uncle received money from the mediator in February. Enough that he stated he was buying property with this money. My daughter has yet to receive her trust. Every time I contacted the mediator, she told me she was too busy to talk. After a month of trying to connect with her, we spoke and she stated that there was still money owed to the property and the final numbers were not in yet. Also, that they needed to settle with the grandmother. This was in February. She promised she would call me a week later. It has been three months and she is not accepting my calls. I left multiple messages and have received no response. Some of the deceased family members contacted her as well to see what's the delay but to no avail. When I call, the phone rings 2 times then goes to voicemail. Today I called again and it a stated that the mailbox was full. First, I don't understand how if there is till money owed to the property, why other family members are receiving money. My daughter is 13 and I want to protect her and her future. I don't know what to do. This has become very stressful for me. I don't know if I need to acquire a lawyer. What do I need to do? Is this normal. I don understand mediators are busy people but to get follow up for months is inappropriate and poor business practice. i filed a complaint today with the BBB because i don't know what else to do.
Go to the office and demand to see the paperwork regarding the property. Bring an estate attorney with you to go over the paperwork and verify that the mediator is doing their job correctly.

Signs say money probably gone missing.
You need hire real estate or trusts/estate attorney to determine WHAT if ANY money still remains.
Chicken bones keep indicating money gone bye bye, but them just chicken bones, you need real lawyer ASAP to help your child.

Good luck, happy hunting.

Your post is rather convoluted, but we can just skip to the end.

Every time I contacted the mediator, she told me she was too busy to talk.

Maybe the term means something else in PA, but a mediator is a person whose job it is to try and help to or more persons/entities resolve a dispute, so it's not clear what this mediator's involvement in this situation is.

My daughter is 13 and I want to protect her and her future.

Nothing in your post suggests that your daughter's future is in any danger or requires protection from anyone or anything.

I don't know what to do. This has become very stressful for me. I don't know if I need to acquire a lawyer. What do I need to do?

That you "don't know what to do" and that "[t]his has become very stressful for" you are pretty obvious indicators that you should retain the services of a lawyer (and probably should have done so a year or more ago). Hopefully, your failure to do so before now hasn't jeopardized your daughter's interest in her father's estate/trust.

A mediator can be used in PA when there is a dispute with regard to an estate/will/trust. It is an optional alternative to Orphan's Court. Edit: To be precise, the judge in Orphan's Court appoints a mediator after all the parties agree to it.

All parties must agree to the mediator, so it is strange that the OP says that "His side of the family acquired the services of a local mediator", as if she had no say in it.

Edit: Further to this, the mediator doesn't distribute money, etc. I believe that the OP is very confused and needs legal assistance.

Back