ER guy threw my insurance card back at me when I was rushed to the hospital. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rts2003

Jurisdiction
Texas
The other day, I was rushed to the ER due to intense pain. There I was asked to fill out the form to 'check in.' The pain intensified and I saw nothing being done. My friend rushed me to another nearby ER. I was asked to fill out the form again. The check in guy kept asking me questions, even redundant ones. He could see I was in no condition to answer. The pain kept intensifying. I got frustrated and answered him loudly. He threw my insurance card back at me, and called in security. I called 911 asking them for aid before I could not stand on my feet. I was then rushed into a room and had a bunch of people working on me. I can clearly see that they were forcing the answers out of me. This is the first time I need ER. This form filling and the obstruction are completely unimaginable to me. I just can't believe that is how ER operates in Texas. What can I do in this case?

What can I do in this case?

You can write a letter to the hospital administrator explaining the events that allegedly transpired. You might be wise to apologize for any negative behavior and attribute any inappropriate comments to your medical emergency.

In the future, if you are unable to answer any questions, simply recite to following, "I am in no condition to answer any questions. Please treat me, and when the pain subsides, I'll be more than happy to assist you."

You can do what I do, I prepare a written document containing the answers to questions you usually are asked. I also attach to that document a copy of my drivers license, passport, military ID card (retired), my insurance documents, and refer the intake person to ask my wife who accompanies me without fail. I also keep a General Power of Attorney allowing my spouse to stand in my stead for all and any questions related to my health care matters.

There are sometimes clinical reasons to ask the same questions repeatedly. If the answers change it can help narrow down the problem.

They also need to know who they are treating, hence the registration process. If you were well enough to travel to multiple hospitals, it stands to reason you were well enough to complete a form or have your friend do so on your behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back