Entitled to settlement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rileyman74

I recently underwent surgery for a hernia that I got while I was at work. While I was recovering from surgery, I was layed off due to downsizing and my lack of seniority. My weekly benefits from the workmans comp insurance company are about to run out, and I was wondering, I am entitled to a settlement? If I am, should I contact the insurance company, or will they contact me?

Entitled to settlement

It was my understanding that an inherent part of the workers comp insurance was that the company accepted full liability for the injury, but was only legally responsible for the medical payments related to treating that injury. I was told by the human resources department that workers comp insurance is different from liability insurance in that respect.

However, after looking through some of the forums on this site, I see that there are others who have received settlements for serious injuries sustained at work.

I have recovered from surgery pretty well, but there is some
permanency, although it may be comparatively minor.

Do workers comp insurance companies typically attempt to buyout claimants to avoid paying for further treatments? Is there a statute of limitations involved? I haven't heard from the insurance company since they cut off my weekly benefits.
( 6 mos. ago )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back