Endorsing of checks from escrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmc100

I am in possession of 3 checks returned from the insurances and bank on the sale of my home. The individual I owned the home with refuses to endorce these checks for distribution. What are my alternatives.?

Talk with your bank manager about what your alternatives may be. What is the reason the person gives for not endorsing the checks? Do you have a lawyer and are in some kind of litigation with this person? Does the check say "and" or does it say "or"; such as "John and Jane Doe" or "Jane Doe or John Doe" ?

She is just trying to be difficult and refuses to sign "without a court order". No I do not have a lawyer. I was hoping not to have to go through the expense. Two of the checks say "and" one just has both names with not and/or.

Thanks

Do you have a joint account still? The bank may let you deposit without her endorsement but hold funds for a certain amount of time. Definately talk to bank manager and if they don't have any alternatives then I guess you'll have to go to court.

No, there is no joint accounts any longer, and the bank will not re-issue the checks evenly divided. Can you tell me which court I should go to in order to request the court order?

I am not sure. Did you get divorced and the dividing of the escrow was part of the divorce decree?

I am not sure but it definately would be civil. Maybe sue her for the amounts of the checks since you can't get her to sign and are out the money. Maybe a threat of a suit will get her to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back