Roomate Ending my residential lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkenevan

On july 15,2008 I signed a lease with my girlfriend any our friend at the time. As time went on our roomate(who was our friend) lost her job and was convicted of a misdeamernor for attacking a nurse. She is mentally unstable and is under supervision. She losses her temper very easy, dosent pay for bills, and avoids us at all cost. Now she has told my girlfriend and I that she wants out of the lease. The landlord was contacted and will not let her out unless she finds someone to take her place. We now want to leave and she wont break any of our leases. I am affraid to stay in the same house with our roomate. What can I do? Our lease does not state what happend if we break the lease. It ends on May 15th 2008 Thank you.

You can do the same thing your roommate was told by the landlord. You can attempt to find someone to take over your portion of the lease.

What is likely to happen if you break the lease (i.e., leave without doing this) is that your landlord will file suit against you for the remaining months of rent on the lease. This judgement against you will go on your credit record.

Gail

Update

I forgot to mention that she is friends with the landlord and can today and took all of her stuff yet told me that she is continuing to pay rent even thogh she isnt there so the landlord is letting her keep a key. She is krazy! I think they are lying to us and working it out behind my back. Im lost. She therefor is not replacing her with a new roomate. I just need out. Now the portion of the bills she is responsible for is all up to us. Any help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back