Employment Withdrawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

William125

My 16 (soon to be 17) year old son & daughter were interviewed and hired to work at a new bar & restuarant just built at the end of our street. My daughter worked a few hours prior to their Grand Opening. They received a letter to show up for orientation and I have an email from the head chef stating they wanted them to start immediately. My daughter quit her job at Chick-a-Filet to work there. At orientation, they were both told that because they were under 18 they changed their mind and could not hire them. Their resume and personal interview clearly indicated their age. Now neither has ajob, and my daughter cannot get her old job back and is out of work.

Cool story, a job isn't a right. They were snookered, toobad, because as minors no court need take notice of them.

No remedy under the law.

Besides, I bet the business says they were told by the little angels, they're adults, age 18.

Last edited:
I see no case here. There is such a thing as detrimental reliance that applies in some states where if someone quits a job because they relied on having another & it is withdrawn, they "might" have a case. However, that mainly applies to if you move out of state & having moving expenses etc. & you are out that money for moving & such. Also, detrimental reliance cases are very hard to win in the employment law context. The kids are minors in your case also & I doubt they had any type of binding employment contract. I don't see a detrimental reliance case here in your daughter's situation. I wasn't even going to bring it up.

They need to look for other employment.

My 16 (soon to be 17) year old son & daughter were interviewed and hired to work at a new bar & restuarant just built at the end of our street. My daughter worked a few hours prior to their Grand Opening. They received a letter to show up for orientation and I have an email from the head chef stating they wanted them to start immediately. My daughter quit her job at Chick-a-Filet to work there. At orientation, they were both told that because they were under 18 they changed their mind and could not hire them. Their resume and personal interview clearly indicated their age. Now neither has ajob, and my daughter cannot get her old job back and is out of work.

Concur with the others. There is no lawsuit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back