Consumer Law, Warranties Employer refuses to pay me for time worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJAK

I responded to an ad on Craigslist and was hired to work at the Houston Nutcracker Market for a couple days. I corresponded with the woman who owns the booth through email and by phone. We agreed that I would work on certain hours for a couple days (the market was only for four days), and the ad said the compensation was $12/hr. I even showed up to work on two days when I wasn't expected to. I worked for 7 hours total. On the last day I was working, the work environment became unbearable and I nicely told the owner I needed to leave because I was frustrated. She told me to write down my information on the sign-in sheet so she could send me my check. I made a stupid comment and said "I don't even care if I don't get paid, I just need to leave." Now I regret making that statement. She still told me "No, that's not right. Write down your information and I'll mail you a check, because I can't pay you right now" since she was in the middle of work, which I understood. I wrote down my information and left. She owes me $84 for my time. I also had to pay $8 to park, which I don't expect to recover, but it angers me that I actually am OUT money for something that was such a waste of my time. I have emailed, called, left voicemails and texted her, and she refuses to answer me and has not sent my check. I know I made a stupid comment, but I deserve to be paid for the time I worked, because it was miserable and I had to pay to park, so I am actually out money. I know the name of her company, and I have her contact information, but the Nutracker Market was in Houston, TX and her business is based out of Kansas. If she won't answer me, there is nothing I can do. I know $84 isn't a lot, but to me it is, and I worked hard for that money and regret ever going. I deserve to be paid. I have all emails, but there is nothing regarding my pay. Ever since I left on that last day, I have heard nothing from her. I even have documentation that I worked for her, because I was interviewed for the news, and the video is on the news website! Other than that video, there is no official documentation that I worked, because she only had us sign in on a piece of paper. There were emails and texts exchanged before I worked for her, but she hasn't responded after. I have a link to the video but would rather not post it on this side. Please contact me so you can see the video on the news website. Thank you!

I don't need to see the video. Sounds like small claims court might be your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back