Employer is now almost 2 years late in releasing final check

Alligator

Jurisdiction
Washington
Background:
My wife was terminated from her Job at a municipality after being accused of theft (which she DIDN'T do). It took 7 years to legally remedy this injustice, but it was done. While the wheels of justice SLOWLY turned toward the correcting of the injustice of the termination - my wife took a job with the Federal Govt.

After the legal matter was concluded part of the award was that my wife was reinstated back to her her old job. She gave her Federal job a lengthy notice and left on great terms in July of 2020. My wife didn't want to put her employer in a bad way so instead of taking all the time she had coming to her off she continued to work until the last day.

She keeps getting the run around about getting her final check - her former Federal employer acknowledges they owe it to her and claims that they have reached out to the highest levels but still to this day NOtHING has been done.

On one hand we are appreciative that she was offered employment given the albatross of a theft charge hanging over her head and also don't want to burn any bridges but even in a Covid universe it seems that this issue has taken too long. Money they owe her is approximately $2000.00 - which isn't nothing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this issue now?

Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this issue now?

Sure.

She can sue the federal government in small claims court for $2000.

Read that out loud and when you realize it's never going to happen, your alternatives are to just wait it out or forget it. If it some day happens you can consider it found money.

Frankly, I think it was a big mistake going back to work for an employer that messed up her life.

Sure.

She can sue the federal government in small claims court for $2000.

Read that out loud and when you realize it's never going to happen, your alternatives are to just wait it out or forget it. If it some day happens you can consider it found money.

Frankly, I think it was a big mistake going back to work for an employer that messed up her life.

Had there not been years already invested in that job with a better retirement pension and 2 step increase in pay going back wouldn't have been entertained. Sometimes making a permanent solution to a temporary problem may make you feel good but if you base what you do off of what can be measured as opposed to emotions - you end up better. Thanks for your input.

If it were a private employer I'd have a suggestion but I have no clue where it's a government employer. Sorry.

anyone have any advice on how to deal with this issue now?

She, as do you, have two elected senators, a representative to congress, a president, a Vice-President, and a cabinet secretary; all of the AFOREMENTIONED, especially the cabinet secretary have the potential ability to intercede on your spouse's behalf to see that she is paid.

She should sit herself down and write each one a letter.
She should send a copy of that letter to each of the above officials via "snail mail" and email.

I wish both of you well.

Back