Employer fails to note convo prior to hire, now requets resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagina1

Until January, I worked PT but offered to work as needed when FT position opened. In rush to fill position it was given to me. Prior to accepting,I informed them that it was temporary and i had vacation coming up, in which I gave a time frame for. Change in work status causes need for days off that weren't earned. Agreed to take time w/o pay.2 weeks notice is required for time off requests, notice given 1 month in advance. Employer states time won't be granted if they can't find staff. I reminded them of temporary employment status and now they want me to resign. I think this is a tactic to avoid firing me and ensure denial of unemployment benefits. How should handle it?

They have no legal obligation to grant you time off for vacation, even if you told them about it ahead of time.

Until January, I worked PT but offered to work as needed when FT position opened. In rush to fill position it was given to me. Prior to accepting,I informed them that it was temporary and i had vacation coming up, in which I gave a time frame for. Change in work status causes need for days off that weren't earned. Agreed to take time w/o pay.2 weeks notice is required for time off requests, notice given 1 month in advance. Employer states time won't be granted if they can't find staff. I reminded them of temporary employment status and now they want me to resign. I think this is a tactic to avoid firing me and ensure denial of unemployment benefits. How should handle it?

You can handle it however you want to. As Cbg says, they have no legal obligation to grant you any time off. If you don't mind being terminated, then go ahead and take your vacation. If you do and then you are terminated, you can appeal any decisions concerning unemployment if your initial application for such benefits is denied.

Or you can forgo your vacation and continue to work.

They have no legal obligation to grant you time off for vacation, even if you told them about it ahead of time.
Thank you for your response. My question was not whether they were legally obligated to grant the time but more to the effect of how to handle being asked to resign because of someone else's incompetence.

If you don't mind being terminated, then go ahead and take your vacation. If you do and then you are terminated, you can appeal any decisions concerning unemployment if your initial application for such benefits is denied. Or you can forgo your vacation and continue to work.

This helps a little considering I left out a lot of details in order to keep the post short. I completely understand that approval for time off requests are at the employers discretion. Forgoing my vacation is only an option if the company intends to reimburse me. The post revolves around it but is more about the fact that I was asked to resign because I told my supervisor she made a mistake. When I reminded my supervisor that I agreed to work as needed and not full-time I was told that I could be replaced now and to turn in a letter of resigniton by the end of the day. I was simply asking for the best way to deal with it (allow them to terminate me vs. allowing them to force me to quit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back