Employer extending my work day

J

Jennnp30

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Can my employer extend my work day past the time I'm scheduled to work. I work 9:30-6:00 and am on call after 6:00pm in which if I get called out I get paid 4hrs for the job but to avoid that they are scheduling on call jobs at 5:50pm and saying they are just extending my work day. Is this even legal?

Your employer can set whatever schedule they want to. Are you not getting paid for the time? Is that really your question?

So after working 9hrs in a day an employer can just tell an employee your staying and working 3 more hours? That's really my question!

So after working 9hrs in a day an employer can just tell an employee your staying and working 3 more hours? That's really my question!

The answer is yes, the employer can do exactly that, as long as you are properly paid and paid overtime where applicable.

As always, if you don't like it you can seek employment elsewhere.

Jenna, your employer decides what hours you work. While it would be nice of him to give you advance notice of any necessary overtime, it is not required. As long as you are paid everything you are due, including time and a half for any hours over 40 in a week, your employer can require you to work whatever hours he needs you to work, even at short notice. Sorry.

Agree - you need to work whatever hours your employer sets (tells you to) unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. (doubtful) You just need to be paid properly for all hrs. worked.

Back