Emissions Inspection Civil Penalty, can I fight it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragtopdave06

First of all, thank you for having this site available to the public.

Here is my situation, my fault too, just something I didn't remember to do, and it was a bonehead thing. My 2004 Jeep Wrangler was due to be inspected in May of this year. I didn't get any kind of notification that I should get it inspected or I would be penalized, only a letter in the mail today stating that I am being fined $250.00 Emissions inspection civil penalty.

It's not that my Jeep won't pass inspection, it's in perfect mechanical condition. I just let it slip my mind this year for some reason.

My question is, can I fight the penalty in any way? Is there a way I can have it reduced or waived completely?

Here is some information from the NC DOT:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...Penalties.html
Registration Denial / Penalties

Under General Statute 20-183.8A, if a vehicle-owner fails to pass a Safety & Emissions Inspection within four (4) months of the expiration of the existing inspection sticker, the vehicle owner will receive the civil penalty and be unable to renew the registration until the vehicles passes an emissions inspection.

You will only receive one (1) official warning letter through the mail within a four (4) month period before the Penalty & Registration Block is actually issued. However, if you are stopped by a law enforcement officer, you are subject to be cited with a traffic ticket any time you are driving the vehicle if the sticker has expired. You will be liable for a $100.00 fee/penalty if you own a 1977-1980 vehicle and a $250.00 fee/penalty if your vehicle is a 1981 or newer model.

Thanks for your time!

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back