Emancipation

Jessyjames

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Can I legally move out at 17, My birthday is in 3 months so I would be 18 but I want to move out now can I legally do that.

A quirk in the way the law of your state is written means that if you were to run away from home at age 17, some law enforcement might be reluctant to return you home as long as you were in a safe place. However, that same quirk in the law means that if your parents showed up and dragged you bodily back home, law enforcement would look the other way.,

When you are 18, you can move out and there's not a thing any one can do about it. At 17, it really depends on how determined your parents are to make you move back. You are not legally an adult at 17.

At your young age the LAST thing you want to do is burn bridges. Talk to your parents discuss what you want to do why and how your going to do it. Emancipation (title of thread) is NOT an option! Again you are best served discussing your move for when you turn 18. You may THINK you know how your going to do this but trust me you dont!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is likely in your best interest to stay home and mooch from your parents as long as you can. If you insist on leaving the house it is best to do so with your parents permission.

If you are looking for a good option to get away from home go talk to a military recruiter.

Surely you can wait the three months until your birthday. Once you're 18 you can go anywhere you want and no one can stop you.

Back