Emancipation

Ssundquist

Jurisdiction
Utah
Hello. I am looking into getting emancipated soon, but have a couple questions. A little background is my biological father passed away 8 years ago and my mother remarried. My step father isn't a legal guardian over me, it's just my mother. My family including my sibilings are very emotionally draining, they are emotionally unhealthy for me. Over all they make me feel bad about myself and my decisions, they make me feel bad about myself physical and mentally, they have torn me out of school to the point where I failed most of last term and have to repeat those classes. My questions are these;

I receive social security from the state because of my deceased father, if I were emancipated would I still be able to obtain that?

In order to be emancipated do I have to already be living outside of my parents home?

Do I have to continue to be enrolled in school or can I receive my GED instead?

You need to be living separately from your parents and you need to be able to pay 100% of what it costs to support you. That means that you, without any help from anyone, are paying for all your own rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation, insurance, medical care, staples, school fees and supplies, and all the other incidentals of life while still going to school and getting better than average grades, or have already graduated. I could find nothing to suggest that dropping out and getting a GED is acceptable. While you are allowed to share expenses with others, you will need to prove to the satisfaction of the judge, who will not be easily persuaded, that you will be able to support yourself if they kick you out, or get hit by a bus,or are transferred to New Zealand and cannot/will not take you with them. You will need to show the judge exactly what your income is, and what your expenses are, and how the one will cover the other.

If you can't do that, then don't waste your own, and the judge's time.

Hello. I am looking into getting emancipated soon, but have a couple questions. A little background is my biological father passed away 8 years ago and my mother remarried. My step father isn't a legal guardian over me, it's just my mother. My family including my sibilings are very emotionally draining, they are emotionally unhealthy for me. Over all they make me feel bad about myself and my decisions, they make me feel bad about myself physical and mentally, they have torn me out of school to the point where I failed most of last term and have to repeat those classes. My questions are these;

I receive social security from the state because of my deceased father, if I were emancipated would I still be able to obtain that?

In order to be emancipated do I have to already be living outside of my parents home?

Do I have to continue to be enrolled in school or can I receive my GED instead?

See the dozens of other emancipation threads.

You don't meet the criteria for emancipation. It is not to escape crappy home lives.

Less than 1% of all petition are successful so your chances are VERY low. the above post give you pretty good layout as to why. However you could discuss issue with a local Attorney an dsee how he/she feels.

Back