Emancipation procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incognito

The CO states that CS is in effect until the child reaches 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes later. "Child" turned 18 in December, received documentation to emancipate from the courts but parents declined and CS continued. "Child" is now graduating.

Does Ohio send new documents to emancipate with a high school graduation or will this now need to be initiated by one of the parents to emancipate the child? I'm assuming the latter as the State really wouldn't know about the graduation date, but wanted to double-check before jumping through hoops.

Also, if the parent needs to initiate, will the stoppage be at the date of emancipation or the date the parent files to emancipate the child (assuming later than the actual date the child graduated.)

Last edited:
Thanks ArmyJudge. I'd found the Franklin one early on, but it wasn't specific to what I was looking for. No biggie. Since we've been in the system, they've made it a bit easier and a little less financially draining (in some areas) so once we know what to do, it should go smoothly. There is no arrears; if anything, we may be ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back