Emancipation of a 16 year old in NC

Luis Sanchez

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I'm 16 living in NC and I'am seeking emancipation. I have a job that pays me $15 an hour and work 40 hours every two weeks, if I get emancipated I'll have a ride to work and from work and if I get emancipated I'll move in with my friend, he's agreed to rent me a room for $400 for as long as I want. I know if I get emancipated it'll be tough at the start, I would be charged with adult charges but I've thought about it thoroughly and decided it would be best for me. The reason that I want to get emancipated is because:

- My parents never go through a day without arguing about something with me and it'll be just because of the simplest reasons. If its passed nine in the evening and I'm still doing homework they'll start to argue with me, I attend an early college in UNCC, taking college classes and they sometimes (more like all the time) give us a ton of work, I try to explain to them but they just won't listen.

- They also invade my personal space, they also don't trust me I've never done something for them not to trust me, they never let me make my own decisions, they think I don't know the difference between whats right and whats wrong (But I do, trust me I do) I'm responsible for my own actions, I've never committed a crime.

I'am a young educated student that just seeks whats best for himself, I have good grades and plan on going to school till I graduate if I get emancipated.

So I was wondering if in the state of North Carolina, they would allow me to be emancipated with these reasons.

It's really hurting me being here and I feel like they are holding me back.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't see it happening.

The money alone is not enough for you to survive. Works out to about $1300 per month gross which means maybe $900 to $1000 take home.

To be emancipated you must be able to support yourself without the assistance of others.

You need a ride back and forth to work. That means you are still going to be dependent on others.

You need to rely on living with a friend who will charge you $400 per month. Roommate situations are common but not reliable. They often don't last.

What about other expenses: Food, clothing, etc.

$500 or $600 per month doesn't go very far.

I'm not saying don't give it a shot, just don't be too disappointed if the judge says no.

On thing in your favor is that the statute does allow a 16 year old to petition for emancipation. Most other states only allow age 17 or older.

I think your chances of being emancipated on this basis are between slim and none, and both of them are on vacation.

Emancipation is not and never was intended to be a means of allowing a teen to leave a bad situation. It was and is intended to be a means of providing legal protections to minors who, for reasons outside their own control, found themselves living on their own.

"My parents were both killed in an auto accident and I need the legal ability to sign contracts so that I can pay the rent and have the light bill transferred into my name and take care of my younger siblings" is a valid reason for emancipation.

"I don't get along with my parents" is not.

I'm 16 living in NC and I'am seeking emancipation. I have a job that pays me $15 an hour and work 40 hours every two weeks, if I get emancipated I'll have a ride to work and from work and if I get emancipated I'll move in with my friend, he's agreed to rent me a room for $400 for as long as I want. I know if I get emancipated it'll be tough at the start, I would be charged with adult charges but I've thought about it thoroughly and decided it would be best for me. The reason that I want to get emancipated is because:

- My parents never go through a day without arguing about something with me and it'll be just because of the simplest reasons. If its passed nine in the evening and I'm still doing homework they'll start to argue with me, I attend an early college in UNCC, taking college classes and they sometimes (more like all the time) give us a ton of work, I try to explain to them but they just won't listen.

- They also invade my personal space, they also don't trust me I've never done something for them not to trust me, they never let me make my own decisions, they think I don't know the difference between whats right and whats wrong (But I do, trust me I do) I'm responsible for my own actions, I've never committed a crime.

I'am a young educated student that just seeks whats best for himself, I have good grades and plan on going to school till I graduate if I get emancipated.

So I was wondering if in the state of North Carolina, they would allow me to be emancipated with these reasons.

It's really hurting me being here and I feel like they are holding me back.
Yeah that sounds like typical parent/teenage relationship. Also you wouldn't make enough to survive on your own. Suck it up until you are a legal adult.

Back