Emancipation for Full-Time College Student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanctuary

Is it necessary for a 19-year-old full-time college student to obtain Emancipation in order for his/her Federal Student Financial Aid to not be tied to their parent's income through the FAFSA? If yes, how does one go about obtaining this?

The issue: The mother of this full-time college student, who earned an Athletic Scholarship, has not provided any financial or material support for several years. The father has never been any part of this young man's life. The student has lived with his grand-father for 17-years, and attends college away from home so he resides in the on-campus dorm. The mother has 5-children, 4 under the age of 16, from 3 different men. She moved to a different state two years ago with 2 children. During 2004 Income Tax she claimed 2 children who were legally claimed by their fathers, so she is now under IRS investigation. She refused (until Sept. 2005), because of her IRS tangle, to file her portion of the FAFSA for her college student to obtain federal education funds. The college refused to sign-off on a Student Loan until the FAFSA was filed through the school. The grandfather is now disabled due to health issues, doing well to afford his medications, and his wife has divorced him. The grandfather is no longer able to provide needed financial support for his grandson.

This year I paid in full for this student (a friend of the family) to stay in college. As much as I would love to pay his way, because he has worked very hard and has earned a half-scholarship, I have a daughter in college, so I won't be able to continue to pay for the friend also.

I have talked to my Federal and State elected officials to find help or direction for this young man. That is why the mother finally filed her portion of the FAFSA with the school. My elected officials do not know how Federal Student Financial Aid or FAFSA works, nor have they been able to direct me to the right agency to find out. Ideally, what the college student wishes to do beginning with 2005 forward is file his own Income Tax so he can file his own FAFSA independant from his parent.

Thank you for your attention to my inquiry. I will appreciate any information or resources anyone can offer.

To get federal funds you have to file the FASFA. Most schools use the FASFA as a basic information tool to calculate the school based portion of funding that is not federal.

You haven't mentioned about what the financial aid officers for the school have said-other than saying he has to file the FASFA. They are hands down the first people to talk to (or have the student talk to). The school might not be able to meet all his need, but they can help him maximize the need and point him towards other sources of funds for tuition.

You also don't mention loans. Has he taken any out? Any student dependednt or not can take out Stafford loans to pay for college. He can repay those when he graduates. You can read about Stafford loans here: http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/studen...nt_guide/2003_2004/english/types-stafford.htm

The definition (set by congress) of who is considered an independent is quite strict. You can read it here. You'll notice that financial aid officials at individual colleges do have some lee way.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/p...uide/2004_2005/english/general-dependency.htm

Hope that gives you a place to start.

Ibis

Student Financial Aid

Thank you so much gearhart7 and ibis for the resources. I will check thoroughly to see what I can find and learn to help this fine young man.

In answer to inquiries:
The school awarded the student an Athletic Scholarship which covers tuition. He is responsible for books & supplies, dorm costs, and student fees. He spent his summer working and saving money for college, and applying for scholarships, grants and endowments. Prior to the beginning of this school term, in August 2005, I co-signed a Student Loan Application for the college student. It was conditionally approved pending authorization and confirmation from the Community College Business Office. The college denied their authorization because the FAFSA was not filed at that time. The Bank thought surely it was an error since 1) the college is on their participating lenders list, and 2) this is his Sophmore year at the same college as reflected in his transcript. An inquiry to the college proved there was no mistake, their policy does not allow them to approve student loans until their FAFSA is filed. The Student Financial Aid Office did not offer advice or assistance outside of instructing the student he has to file his FAFSA. I was very surprised. Because of his mother's IRS tangle, she thought she could not file her portion of the FAFSA until the IRS investigation was closed...in the meantime her son was faced with an unsympathetic "pay up" or "get out" from the Business Office in August. That is when I decided to contact the college and paid his costs in full. Afterward I wrote letters and telephoned our elected officials. Our Federal Congressman advised that his mother's issue with the IRS should not interfere with his FAFSA and that she could ammend the FAFSA after the IRS issue, so she filed the FAFSA at the end of Sept and he has now received his grant.

So, this year is taken care of.

What he is concerned about is what can he do for next year when he enters a four-year college, possibly with no scholarship? He can't depend on his mother to file her portion of the FAFSA. She did not file for him last year and wasn't going to this year either. His mother lives accross country and does not provide for him. His grandfather has provided for him for 17 years. His grandfather is no longer able to provide for him financially due to his health issues and divorce (attorney and court costs, loss of all assets). This is why we are hoping the student will be able to file his own FAFSA beginning with the 2005-06 school term.

Again, thanks for your helpful resources. I'm off to scour the websites and try to find solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back