Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Email Threat to Kill Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeanna

Jurisdiction
Vermont
My question involves criminal law for the state of: Vermont and/or Florida

A man that I know personally has sent me a threatening email that reads "You are so ****ed.when I kick open the door to that piece of shit RV I'm going to really enjoy putting a bullet in the middle of your forehead. Better call the police and a ambulance while your at it. Have your queer ass son there too.

Love and kisses. Let the games begin!

Sent from my iPhone

He lives in Vermont and is a retired ex-Asst AG. My question is to whom do I report this? FBI? My local CEO and/or Vermont's? How do I report? Thank you Leeann

Agreed. Start with local police. The issue here, and I am not trying to assess it, is whether the threat made is credible- whether you have a reasonable fear of it being carried out. Being several states away there is an argument to be made that you are not in imminent fear for your life.
It may be that your best course of action is a restraining order that prohibits further contact.

Agreed. Start with local police. The issue here, and I am not trying to assess it, is whether the threat made is credible- whether you have a reasonable fear of it being carried out. Being several states away there is an argument to be made that you are not in imminent fear for your life.
It may be that your best course of action is a restraining order that prohibits further contact.

Thank you. Altho he is in VT, he is a double earner from two pension funds (military and VT state gov't), marathon runs constantly and can get to me in less than four hours by plane and Uber. Total cost as low as $200. The threat is not ambiguous, he has access to weapons, (who doesn't?). He knows exactly what I look like, knows where I live (exact address), and has threatened my son and my husband since he too lives in our tiny space of 300 sq ft. I need a restraining order and I want him JAILED!

Thank you. Altho he is in VT, he is a double earner from two pension funds (military and VT state gov't), marathon runs constantly and can get to me in less than four hours by plane and Uber. Total cost as low as $200. The threat is not ambiguous, he has access to weapons, (who doesn't?). He knows exactly what I look like, knows where I live (exact address), and has threatened my son and my husband since he too lives in our tiny space of 300 sq ft. I need a restraining order and I want him JAILED!
Why is he threatening you? Do you work for the same company? If not, how do you know this man?

I need a restraining order and I want him JAILED!

You might be able to receive a restraining order depending if your argument persuades a judge to issue one.

Don't expect the person to be jailed based upon your recitation above.

You might be able to receive a restraining order depending if your argument persuades a judge to issue one.

Don't expect the person to be jailed based upon your recitation above.

The statute concerning written threats to kill does not state that a person must be able to commit the intended act to violate the law. Sending the threatening communication itself is enough to bring charges. I reported the threat locally and it falls under a Florida statute (where I live) that resolves email threats to 2nd degree felonies. They are in the process of getting IP addresses, verification of his account and access to it (yahoo) so we will see.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The Florida statute likely does not apply to the sender in Vermont. Your local law enforcement could forward the complaint to the appropriate jurisdiction in Vermont where it could be investigated for whatever is applicable there.

The Florida statute likely does not apply to the sender in Vermont. Your local law enforcement could forward the complaint to the appropriate jurisdiction in Vermont where it could be investigated for whatever is applicable there.

The Florida statute only cares that the Recipient be in Florida. I am.

I'm not making light of your concerns. But he cannot be arrested for violating a Florida statute because of something that he did in Vermont.

Now, if Vermont has a similar statute, he can be arrested for violating that. But to be arrested of violating the Florida statute he would have to have violated it in Florida.

States have jurisdiction (the power to prosecute) any crime that occurs within that state. A person from Vermont that commits a crime in Florida can indeed be prosecuted in Florida under Florida law without ever steeping foot in the state of Florida.

Florida only has to issue an arrest warrant and ask Vermont to extradite the accused to Florida to face the charges.

It's illegal in Massachusetts to buy fireworks.

So what you're telling me is that if you buy fireworks in Florida, the state of Massachusetts can extradite you for violating a MA law, even though you were in FL when you did it?

Your example makes no sense. If a person from MA goes to FL to buy fireworks to bring them back to MA that has nothing to do with FL law. There was no crime committed in FL assuming fireworks are legal in FL.

A person in MA goes on the internet and solicits sex from a minor in FL. Where was the crime committed? The victim is in FL. Which state's law do you think control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back