Electrical Contractor starting own business

Status
Not open for further replies.

fibronurse

Electrical contractor was in business for himself for many years then went to work as an employee at another company. He brought his customer base with him and acquired new customers. There were never any legal documents or partnerships filed. My question is, if the contractor goes back to his own company what are his legal rights to the customer base? Including the customers he brought to the business, new ones he has acquired, and the existing customers? Thanks

Unfortunately

There are a lot of factors that may come into play - first being what state are you located in? just a few of the others I can think of off the top of my mind are did you get paid more in the beginning because you brought your own clients to the new business? did you do the advertising to get the new clients since you went to the business or did the business? how does your state law define trade secrets (which would probably include the customer base since you were there)? is there a standard in the industry with regards to what happens to the clients other electricial contractors bring to the a new business? were you an employee or an independent contractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back