Copyright Effects of editing on a copyrighted work?

Nashtenn

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Hey all, I have a probably stupid question.

Suppose I was to register a copyright for an unpublished novel. Then publish it. Then later, decide to edit the novel. Followed by publishing a second edition.

Would I need another copyright registered for the second edition?

In essence, what effect does editing have on a copyrighted work? Is it still protected?

Thanks, love and internet hugs.

Copyright Protection in Derivative Works

The copyright in a derivative work covers only the additions, changes, or other new material appearing for the first time in the work. Protection does not extend to any preexisting material, that is, previously published or previously regis- tered works or works in the public domain or owned by a third party.

As a result, it is not possible to extend the length of protection for a copyrighted work by creating a derivative work. A work that has fallen into the public domain, that is, a work that is no longer protected by copyright, is also an underlying "work" from which derivative authorship may be added, but the copyright in the derivative work will not extend to the public domain material, and the use of the public domain material in a derivative work will not prevent anyone else from using the same public domain work for another derivative work.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

Would I need another copyright registered for the second edition?

If you want the benefits afforded by registration for the new elements in the edited version, then yes.

In essence, what effect does editing have on a copyrighted work? Is it still protected?

The work is protected whether or not you register it. The benefits of registration exist only if it's registered.

Back