Naturalization, Citizenship Effect of DWI on N400 citizenship application

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesi

I had to plea for a misdemeanor for a cased filed in August 2013. My State is Fairfax, Virginia.
I hold the green card at present. That was gained under Asylum visa. Please advise how this will affect me in becoming a US citizen?
Will this delay my Citizenship application? How this case will be judged as all my records including fingerprints are with police.

I am assuming that you plead guilty of a misdemeanor for a DWI. Having a DWI is not usually an absolute bar to citizenship, especially if you are otherwise clean. It does increase the chances of rejection based upon lacking "moral turpitude" or "good moral character" - a trait which is required for U.S. citizenship N-400 naturalization application. The circumstances and amount of alcohol can be taken into account and typically there are ways that you can try to "rehabilitate" your character. This can include classes and education to help, showing positive volunteer work and creating a spotless record for a period of time. You may want to hold off with a N-400 citizenship application with immigration for a while until you are more certain that you can show that you are a person of good moral character and that this event is long in the past. Best of luck to you.

As an Asylum grantee, your status can escalate to deportation if the reason has changed or simply revocation of your Green Card and removal of your right to work in the US. Basically you become a man/woman without a country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back