Education Reimbursement Discrimination-do I have a case? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairvin3

I submitted a formal resignation letter and put in my two weeks at my employer. Upon leaving, they withheld the majority of my last two paychecks, paying me out only for minimum wage. The money they are withholding is the money the company paid for me to have access to the CPA exam study material. The amount they withheld comes to about $2,100. All of this seemed routine, and normal as the company policy states that if an employee is to leave within 2 years of the company purchasing the material for the employee, the amount would have to be reimbursed by the employee.
However, a good friend of mine, whom I worked with for basically the same period of time, had the same circumstance. He also had the CPA materials paid for by the company. He submitted his resignation letter just days after me, but the employer did not follow their company manual and did not make him pay back a cent.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I have a case here? – I feel like I was discriminated against.
2. Could the ex-employer come back and demand payment from my friend after he has already received his last paychecks in full?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I suggest you concentrate on your struggle, avoiding to take notice of another's struggle.

There's no way anyone but the employer could answer your questions.
If you have a beef, take it up with your employer, the state, or hire a lawyer to give you a free case evaluation.

Maybe your former employer liked your pal more than you were liked. It happens.

Maybe your pal lied to you, to make you think he or she was better loved and appreciated. It happens, too.

The reason I posted here is to see if its even worth getting an attorney. All I am trying to find out is if this could be a case. Thanks Army Judge, but this is my struggle, because that is called discrimination when one is treated differently from another especially when there is a company policy in place documenting standard procedure.

The reason I posted here is to see if its even worth getting an attorney. All I am trying to find out is if this could be a case. Thanks Army Judge, but this is my struggle, because that is called discrimination when one is treated differently from another especially when there is a company policy in place documenting standard procedure.

Most attorneys will offer you a FREE case evaluation.
Good luck to you as you educate yourself in these matters.

Except that you have not been harmed in any way. You state that your deduction was made completely in accord with what company policy states will happen.
Treating one employee differently from another is NOT illegal. Illegal discrimination has to meet certain criteria, and you would need some type of proof that illegal discrimination occurred. Now maybe you think it's unfair, but things don't have to be fair, in your opinion. I'm sure there is valid reason why your co-worker was treated differently, or there's the possibility that somebody goofed up and forgot to make the deduction, but that's really not your business.

Unless you can prove you were treated differently based on your race, gender, religion, etc, you have nothing. Moreover, you indicate the company treated you within the established policy. The matter with the co-worker could have been an oversight, but does not change your situation.

Based just on what you posted, I don't see where your employer did anything illegal. All discrimination is not illegal & all employees do not have to be treated the same. You would have to prove you were discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (religion, race, gender, etc.).

I don't see anything close to a case here. Exceptions to policies can be made for any number of reasons you are not privy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back