EC Director under Internal Investigation...

Amberg

Our local EC Director was put on paid leave during an Internal Investigation. We have now been told that said EC Director has resigned. The school system refused to tell the parents why there was an Internal Investigation. We ( many EC parents) feel like the school system is covering up major issues within the EC department. They are saying they cannot tell us about the investigation due to the public school personnel laws of N.C. do not permit the release of information regarding the results of an internal investigation,"

Is this true? How can be have accountability and transparency when no one holds the school accountable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Our local EC Director was put on paid leave during an Internal Investigation. We have now been told that said EC Director has resigned. The school system refused to tell the parents why there was an Internal Investigation. We ( many EC parents) feel like the school system is covering up major issues within the EC department. They are saying they cannot tell us about the investigation due to the public school personnel laws of N.C. do not permit the release of information regarding the results of an internal investigation,"

Is this true? How can be have accountability and transparency when no one holds the school accountable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All concerned citizens in your district should start by attending school board meetings.
Before you attend, make sure you select a spokesperson to voice your concerns before the entire board.
You should also reach out to your elected board member and express your concerns prior to the meeting.
It would also be helpful to contact your local teachers union(s) and ask them to support your desire for more transparency and accountability.
You want as many citizens as possible to attend and be heard at the next board meeting.
Long term, organize the citizens, and choose people to run for seats during the next school board election.
This will be, if you do it correctly, a grass roots takeover for the taxpayers.
Good luck.

Thank you so much. We are in the process right now of getting parents together to talk at the next board meeting. They will allow us 3 min. each. Thank you for the suggestions.

You are not however, entitled to know everything. Personnel matters are still private. I'm not sure why it should matter to you, other than curiosity.

ElleMD,
Why do WE care? We being over 200 parents who have joined together to demand that our EC department change! We filed 6 formal complaints with our State department. Only to be told there was not anything ' they' could do. So, yes, we do want to know if our hard work and diligence worked and she was told to either resign or be fired. Cause why would we continue to go to the State if we were truly ignored. Her job was to take care of an entire district of EC children and teens. She failed miserably. What is going to keep her from moving and getting another job in EC? She shouldn't be allowed to EVER work in the field of Exceptional Children again. It is about living in an area where corruption is everywhere. It is about demanding transparency and accountability to those that work with our children. So, if that is being "curious" then I guess we are.

You have the right to ensure your child's needs are met, EC or not. You do not have the right to interfere with someone's employment, nor find out the details of her employment status. Whether you feel she was competent at this job is irrelevant, as well as whether or not another employer deems her competent for their position. What would it change if you did somehow find out she had been asked to resign for some reason? It wouldn't. You would be in exactly the same position you are in right now. She is already gone and nothing else would change. The standard for the state to interfere in the hiring at the local level is extremely high and would only come into play if state regulations were being blatantly ignored or there were criminal behavior involved. Incompetence as a group of parents defines it, would not. Your local district may or may not agree, but they are the ones responsible for assessing the efficacy of a given employee. The state won't act in 99% of cases.

I'm sure you would not appreciate your employment record being made public and it is no different for a school system employee. There are some things which are public as they are considered relevant to the general tax-paying public but that is limited to things like salary and title.

"What would it change if you did somehow find out she had been asked to resign for some reason? It wouldn't." Actually , if our group knew her resignation was due to our non compliant filed against her then we would know it had worked! We are trying to change the future of an entire district here. I don't think she should be allowed to work in this field again because of what she has done/not done properly over the past few years. When you don't follow IEP you are held accountable to that!
As for my employment record made public. I would not care. I have never been fired or even reprimanded. When I worked in the field of DD I was held accountable for everything I did. I was held accountable for every dime I spent and every paper I wrote. When someone blatantly does not do their job they should be held accountable. They shouldn't be able to go to the next school system and ruin more lives. Now, reply if you wish. However, I have a School Board meeting to attend.

By all means, attend the meeting. Just do not do so with the expectation that you will be made privy to an employee's employment record. You might not think she should be allowed to work in the field again, but barring very limited circumstances, that is totally up to whomever wishes to hire her.

Back