Earrings in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tspott

I have a question regarding sexual discrimination or at least what I think might fall under this category. The company I work for has a rather strange policy that has been upsetting me for some time now. Where I work, females are allowed to where up to 2 earrings 1 in each ear as you would find with any normal ear piercing. The regulation on this is that the earrings can be no bigger than dime sized. I, being a male, also have my ears pierced. When I show up for work I am also asked to remove my earrings (which do abide by the regulation). I am curious as to whether this is some form of illegal discrimination and if so, what should I do?

Last edited:
No, it is not. Numerous courts have held that it is legal to have different dress codes for males and females.

Otherwise you could be required to report to work wearing a skirt and heels.

No, it is not. Numerous courts have held that it is legal to have different dress codes for males and females.

Hmmm...that would be interesting.

I understand and thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention that every person is required to wear the same uniform so the only difference in dress has to do with the piercings (only ears). I don't suppose this would have any bearing on the matter would it? Seeing as males wearing simple ear piercings has become a very common thing, and given this particular situation with the only differences in attire being bodily piercings, one sex given the privilege and the other denied, could there be a possible case here?

Last edited:
I understand and thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention that every person is required to wear the same uniform so the only difference in dress has to do with the piercings (only ears). I don't suppose this would have any bearing on the matter would it? Seeing as males wearing simple ear piercings has become a very common thing, and given this particular situation with the only differences in attire being bodily piercings, one sex given the privilege and the other denied, could there be a possible case here?

*golf clap*

The reposting of cbg's response does not answer my question.

No, that would have no bearing on the situation.

It doesn't matter how you slice it; it is legal for them to allow women to wear earrings and not men.

No, that would have no bearing on the situation.

It doesn't matter how you slice it; it is legal for them to allow women to wear earrings and not men.

Even if [insert something irrelevant here]?

:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back