DVP filed against me and my ex (engaged not married) is trying to take my home.

Stratos

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
I'm posting on here because I was with my ex-fiance for 3 1/2 years, today she filed a DVP against me even though she's been the one that's been having contact with me and not the other way around, now in the order she is trying to get possession of my home that's in my name and all of the major bills were also in my name. Will she be able to take my home from me?

I'm posting on here because I was with my ex-fiance for 3 1/2 years, today she filed a DVP against me even though she's been the one that's been having contact with me and not the other way around, now in the order she is trying to get possession of my home that's in my name and all of the major bills were also in my name. Will she be able to take my home from me?

If you allow her to steal your home, maybe.

If you hire a lawyer to protect your home, maybe not.

...today she filed a DVP against me even though she's been the one that's been having contact with me and not the other way around...

Contact is a two-way street. What is a DVP? Some type of protective order?

...now in the order she is trying to get possession of my home that's in my name and all of the major bills were also in my name. Will she be able to take my home from me?

If this is a protective order what does it have to do with YOUR house?

Sure sounds like you need a family law attorney.

Contact is a two-way street. What is a DVP? Some type of protective order?

If this is a protective order what does it have to do with YOUR house?

Sure sounds like you need a family law attorney.

Yes, it's a protective order. Although she's the one that's been coming to my house and vandalizing things, she even went as far to admit it in a text message. And the second time that I had to call the police I asked her to leave and she refused and it's on record. She has also been text messaging me picture messages flipping me off. With the exception of her coming to my house I haven't had contact with her through this entire procedure.

Yeah I had never heard of someone not being married and them being able to take another person's home

Yes, it's a protective order. Although she's the one that's been coming to my house and vandalizing things, she even went as far to admit it in a text message. And the second time that I had to call the police I asked her to leave and she refused and it's on record. She has also been text messaging me picture messages flipping me off. With the exception of her coming to my house I haven't had contact with her through this entire procedure.

Yeah I had never heard of someone not being married and them being able to take another person's home

Change your numbers, change your email addys, or block her if you can.

Blocking these days is very effective.

Change your numbers, change your email addys, or block her if you can.

Blocking these days is very effective.
I have taken most of these steps, the only reason I still have her number is because we were trying to exchange the last of each other's property.

I have taken most of these steps, the only reason I still have her number is because we were trying to exchange the last of each other's property.

It's smarter to do that through a trusted neutral party.

As you're learning, it has caused you great risk.

today she filed a DVP against me

Assuming "DVP" stands for domestic violence protection or something like that, and assuming you're talking about an order, private citizens cannot file orders. Your ex may have filed papers in which she requests that the court issue an order. Is that what you're talking about? Or has the court actually issued an order?

now in the order she is trying to get possession of my home that's in my name and all of the major bills were also in my name. Will she be able to take my home from me?

This doesn't make any sense. An order is a directive issued by a court that requires one or more persons to do or refrain from doing something. Your ex cannot "try[] to get" anything "in [an] order." If she is making some sort of effort to obtain possession of your home, we have no ability whatsoever to opine intelligently about her chances of success without reading whatever she has filed and knowing all of the relevant facts. Needless to say, you should seek a consultation with an attorney ASAP.

Let me guess. You lived together and broke up. She hasn't moved out and she filed for an order of protection which if it is granted, means you can't be within a certain radius of her or contact her. You fear she will be awarded the order and will get to stay in your home which you will not be permitted near. Do I have that right?

Let me guess. You lived together and broke up. She hasn't moved out and she filed for an order of protection which if it is granted, means you can't be within a certain radius of her or contact her. You fear she will be awarded the order and will get to stay in your home which you will not be permitted near. Do I have that right?

No, we were having issues and I told her she can leave if she wanted to, she left and took her stuff. She has a place to stay so she's not out in the cold so the lawyer I spoke to said that most likely she wouldn't get it unless the judge wanted to be an ass

Back