Durable POA puzzled

M

Margaux

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Durable POA of incompetent parents who are going to senior facility wants to know what are my duties and responsibilities. For example:
Do I take care of finances even though they want to retain them?
Can I rent their home?
Can I dispose of personal property?
Can I forward their mail to my address?
Tks

Your duties and responsibilities are those that are specified in the Durable Power of Attorney.

You can find samples on the internet but if you and your parents don't understand how they work you would all be wise to consult an attorney who can review their desires and get it done right.

Durable POA of incompetent parents who are going to senior facility wants to know what are my duties and responsibilities. For example:
Do I take care of finances even though they want to retain them?
Can I rent their home?
Can I dispose of personal property?
Can I forward their mail to my address?
Tks

If your parents are medically incapacitated to an extent that their mental faculties cause them to be adjudicated mentally incompetent, you need to discuss obtaining guardianship or conservatorship of them.

Many financial institutions won't honor a POA to effect transactions of financial accounts.

A power of attorney won't allow you to do for your parents some, perhaps none of the things you mentioned.

Take a look at these articles:

http://www.vda.virginia.gov/pdfdocs/guardbook.pdf

VaLegalAid.org - A guide to free and low cost civil legal information and services in Virginia

Back