Duplicate Item on Credit Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccamara

I hope someone can bring clarity to the following issue. In my credit report I have 3 Sallie Mae loans appearing as six derogatory items. The loans at issue were defaulted student loans and went on my opinion on default by mistake. However, the issue is that Sallie Mae explanation of when the loans appear twice for each account is due to a consolidation of their loan databases into a central database in Florida. This resulted on my account number to be changed by a single letter. Therefore the single loan which was late 90d plus got re-recorded under a different line item for 90 days. To make matters worse the loan was then sold to another agency which then added three new items to my credit report. Besides these student loans I have an impecable credit report... however having 15 lines items of 90+ days deliquency is a big issue. I have for the last two years called and written letters to Sallie Mae and the answer has been always the same. Since the account was sold to another Agency they no longer have anything to do with the acount. Should I call a credit lawyer and if so where do I go to find one. This has cost me thousands of dollars in higher credit interest. Thanks in advance for any tips.

You should probably contact the big three credit reporting agencies and dispute the credit report. Additionally, if Sallie Mae refuses to correct a false item then you may want to speak to the Comptroller of the Currency. Take a look at this link on the FTC web site:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fcra.htm

Originally posted by ccamara
I hope someone can bring clarity to the following issue. In my credit report I have 3 Sallie Mae loans appearing as six derogatory items. The loans at issue were defaulted student loans and went on my opinion on default by mistake. However, the issue is that Sallie Mae explanation of when the loans appear twice for each account is due to a consolidation of their loan databases into a central database in Florida. This resulted on my account number to be changed by a single letter. Therefore the single loan which was late 90d plus got re-recorded under a different line item for 90 days. To make matters worse the loan was then sold to another agency which then added three new items to my credit report. Besides these student loans I have an impecable credit report... however having 15 lines items of 90+ days deliquency is a big issue. I have for the last two years called and written letters to Sallie Mae and the answer has been always the same. Since the account was sold to another Agency they no longer have anything to do with the acount. Should I call a credit lawyer and if so where do I go to find one. This has cost me thousands of dollars in higher credit interest. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back