Naturalization, Citizenship duo citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith_Ann

I was born in Canada, adopted as an infant and raised in the US. I became a Naturalized US citizen at about three years old. In 1998 I was located by my birth family and we have become very close. Can I get Canadian citizenship without giving up my US citizenship?

The US government nowadays quietly accepts dual citizenship in almost all cases and courts have supported dual citizens in almost all cases, so from the American perspective there is nothing against obtaining Canadian citizenship as well unless you openly declare that you no longer want to be an American citizen.

As far as I know Canada also accepts dual citizenship, but you would have to inquire about this.

Where do I begin?

Now that I know I can have both Canadian and US citizenship, where do I begin? Do I contact someone here in the US first or do I start in Canada? Who do I contact?

since the American authorities are not involved in this, you start by getting info from the Canadian authorities. You should look at the website of Immigration Canada, they have pretty good info, and then contact the Canadian consulate for the proceedings.

financial aid

I have a devorced friend that is having a hard time making ends meet. Part of the problem is that her 18 yr. old daughter has a CD (I think this is what she called it) from her father and this is considered part of the household income. My friend can't touch it and it really doesn't seem fair to count it as income. Is there something that can be done to help her?
Thanks, Faith Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back