Dumb Petty Thief

C

Cane 62

Was caught shoplifting at Walmart. Items under $25. No police called, took copy of my drivers license, stuff taken, and signed some kind of paperwork showing what taken, how much money i had on me and was let go. Told he was not pressing charges but doing his job. 1 week later recd a settlement letter requesting $200 with 13 days. I am confused, depressed, and cannot eat or sleep. Cannot understand why I did it as i just spent $100 their am 62, have a flawless record and credit. I must be pretty sick as i just lost my son suddenly in January, who was just 35. My sister in November, who died of cancer, and several other issue, including my sisters grandson who was mos, also died in November of Sids. I am single and funeral cost 14k. The letter has me so scared that i will go to jail, or court and incure fines, attorney fees i cannot begin to pay. i have never done anything illegal. i do not know if i should pay this demand, contact walmart, and talk to them or go to jail. I dont want my friends or grandkids to know what i have done and can't talk to anyone about this. they wouldnt believe it any way. This does show me how i have been doing crazy things unual things since the death of my son. I am afraid if i borrow the $200 they will still take action and put me in jail. Please help! Please give me some advise. For the first time in my life i feel out of control and i was a single mother with no support and raised 4 kids alone. SAD

It's your decision whether to pay the civil demand. If you don't, there is a possibility of additional consequences. Some people talk to a lawyer before paying. It probably would have been best that you didn't mention the name of the store in your post for your protection.

Relax, Cane 62, you won't go to jail because you don't pay a civil demand.
People in the US don't go to jail because they owe debts to others.
Heck, people rarely go to prison because they owe income taxes, if that helps level set things for you.
You can call the one demanding money and ask if a $100 will be acceptable to them, or ask about making monthly payments.
I'm told most of the people demanding money will work with you, if you approach them reasonably.

And please get some counseling. You've been through some tough things, you don't need to be doing things like this to make it worse.

Back