Driving without a license

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameness1

I live in CA. I was pulled over for speeding and have no driver's license since I am not a citizen. My girlfriend who is a citizen and was in the car with me was in the passenger's seat. It was my dad's car and he had let my girlfriend borrow it. I was driving it because it was a long drive and she was tired. He cited me for going 75+ on a 60MPH highway (Infraction) and Unlicensed driver (Misdemeanor). He allowed me to pull off the highway so her and I could switch and he wouldn't have to impound the car. Two weeks later I received in the mail a Notice of correction and Proof of service which corrected the citation under: Other (specify): Driver License #-------- Out of California. (I didn't write the DL numbers for safety)
As I didn't receive a courtesy notice through the mail to pay the ticket, I had to show up to my court appearance and I had to see the Judge. I was about to fill out the Guilty form when I asked a translator if I should. She said I shouldn't and to fill out the Not Guilty form so I could be appointed a Public Defender. I did and when I stood in front of the Judge I was given a later court date to appear on and I signed a Conditions of Own Recognizance Release form with the box checked stating that I would not drive unless licensed and insured.
What will the course of action be? Should I hire a lawyer instead of being represented by a Public Defender? Why did the officer change the ticket information causing me to receive the Notice of Correction and proof of service? Thank you for your help

The public defender should be sufficient for this, but you can always hire your own attorney if you want.

You would not have been able to pay this ticket without an appearance due to the misdemeanor offense. There was no courtesy notice coming.

Your best hope here is to plead not guilty and hope the officer fails to show for the hearing, then it will be dismissed. Otherwise, your speeding ticket is likely $200-300 and the fine for driving unlicensed is another $300 or so, plus court fees.

The officer corrected the citation for some reason- I suspect because he later found an ID number assigned to you even though you don't have a license. If you have had a citation in the past then you likely have a temporary number starting with the letter X. Anyway, you received the notice of correction simply because something was changed on the citation from the time it was given to you. This is fairly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back