Don't want to lose in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhand502

Almost 3 years ago, I moved in with my ex-roommate and singned a lease. We stayed there for 11 of the 12 month lease until he left and got a new apartment. He lived at this new apartment for 1 month before asking if I wanted to move in. I told him I might not be able to afford it for too long so he said to live there until he found another roommate. I agreed to pay part of the total rent every month I continued to stay. His dad is on the lease and I never made any verbal or written agreement with him or his dad. I never signed any contract whatsoever.

Since late Feb. of this year another person moved into our apartment with us. I asked if he was going to pay part of the rent and I was told that he wasn't going to stay. However, he never moved out.
At the end of March, I was asked to pay rent a few days early for April. I did and was then told a couple days later by my roommate that his father was purchasing a house and I would have to move out. I asked for my rent money back and he refused. I promptly moved out on April 10th. The day I moved out, I was asked to pay for the utilities for the month and I refused since I knew there was no way the bills were already turned in and he had refused to give me the rent for April back. He handed me a handwritten document with garbled math and a hefty sum at the bottom. I believe he was attempting to get money from me to help pay for the cost of breaking his lease.

A couple of days ago, his father mailed me a letter saying I owed him 464 dollars, and he would call a lawyer if I did not pay. I am worried now because I am leaving for law school on the other side of the country and need money to pay for it. I feel that he still owes me money for rent. Part of the amount is bills that he claims I owe him. $125 is for half a pet deposit that he claims he lost due to my cat. I was never informed nor did I sign a pet deposit. My rommate also had a cat but mine is only 7 months old. $75 dollars is for a couch and window blinds that he claims my cat ruined since his son's cat does not have any claws. However, I have witnesses that will say they saw the blinds from the last apartment and this apartment, as well as the couch, were ruined before I got my cat (who is only 8 months old)

His father is not a landlord so I do not undertsand how the landlord-tenent laws apply here. I have no written agreement with him or his son. I believe he might attempt to take me to small claims court, and I want to know if he has a case or what I should do. Thank you very much for any advice/help.

If what you are saying is an accurate reflection of the events, you could actually sue him and his dad for wrongful eviction. Based upon the facts you supply it would seem that you were no less than a month to month tenant and, as such, the lessor (your former roomate) would be required to give you one month's prior notice. In your jurisdiction this might mean almost 2 months, 30 days notice before the next rental period.

Not only does he seem to owe you part of the rent, but it also seems that the "pet deposit" would have nothing to do with you at all. They owe you money. You may want to take your roomate to small claims court and inform this roomate's father that if he wants to take it to court (hiring a lawyer for this is incredibly unlikely) than you'll counterclaim for the money you are owed, in addition to a wrongful eviction.

You'll learn about some of this in law school! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back