Professional Malpractice Don't know how to proceed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandreab

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 01/02/15. I underwent a lumpectomy 01/07/15 from one surgeon who then sent me home with no follow up care instructions. After 2 weeks I called the nurse navigator to ask how am I to get the biopsy results. She stated I needed to go back for a follow up appointment. My surgeon was out of office so she scheduled me with his partner surgeon. This surgeon said I would need to go through 5 weeks of radiation therapy followed by 5 years of Tamoxifen. She said she wanted to ensure my cancer would react to the radiation therapy therefore she ordered the tissue to be sent for the oncotypeDX testing. She said it would take approx. 3 weeks to get the results.

Long story short after 6 weeks I had not received the results I called talked to her Nurse assistant who said she would find out what is going on and either she or the Dr would call me back. No one called back. After another week I called again but only got voicemail and left a message. The following week I received a response from the nurse assistant who said that the received notice that the tissue sample sent was to small to perform the test. So she had requested the remaining sample to be sent and they again responded says to tissue sample was too small to complete the test and asked me if I had any tissue samples anywhere else other than Jordan Valley. She said she would get with Dr and find out where we go from here. To date I have had no response on where we go from here and obviously there is no tissue left for the test to be performed and the Dr has never once reached out to guide me if I should proceed with radiation therapy and then to tomoxifen I have just been left to figure out what to do next. Is this the right way to approach patient care? They should have known the required sample size for the test and why did they not send the entire tissue the first time and not cut it up?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 01/02/15. I underwent a lumpectomy 01/07/15 from one surgeon who then sent me home with no follow up care instructions. After 2 weeks I called the nurse navigator to ask how am I to get the biopsy results. She stated I needed to go back for a follow up appointment. My surgeon was out of office so she scheduled me with his partner surgeon. This surgeon said I would need to go through 5 weeks of radiation therapy followed by 5 years of Tamoxifen. She said she wanted to ensure my cancer would react to the radiation therapy therefore she ordered the tissue to be sent for the oncotypeDX testing. She said it would take approx. 3 weeks to get the results.

Long story short after 6 weeks I had not received the results I called talked to her Nurse assistant who said she would find out what is going on and either she or the Dr would call me back. No one called back. After another week I called again but only got voicemail and left a message. The following week I received a response from the nurse assistant who said that the received notice that the tissue sample sent was to small to perform the test. So she had requested the remaining sample to be sent and they again responded says to tissue sample was too small to complete the test and asked me if I had any tissue samples anywhere else other than Jordan Valley. She said she would get with Dr and find out where we go from here. To date I have had no response on where we go from here and obviously there is no tissue left for the test to be performed and the Dr has never once reached out to guide me if I should proceed with radiation therapy and then to tomoxifen I have just been left to figure out what to do next. Is this the right way to approach patient care? They should have known the required sample size for the test and why did they not send the entire tissue the first time and not cut it up?

If I hadn't received a response when promised, I would have made an appointment with another physician.
It isn't too late for you to seek a second, or even a third opinion.
What I would never do is just wait for an absent minded, or unprofessional physician to get back to me.

You can address the legal issues after you've addressed the medical concerns.
Make yourself an appointment tomorrow, or go to the nearest ER Room tonight and seek a thorough exam, proper evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment for any and all diseases and afflictions that you are suffering.
I wish for you a speedy healing and full recovery.

Ditto. You can play the "what if" and blame game later. Now you need to see to your health. Ask for referrals to a good Oncologist and make an appointment. Diagnosis is not always straightforward as we would like. My own father went through 6 doctors before being diagnosed 4 years, one month and 12 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back