Dog poop on my lawn

JoshyMan

Jurisdiction
New York
My camera caught the same local person taking his dog out for a walk to poop and piss on the end of my front lawn. He doesn't ever clean up the piss and, occasionally, he cleans up the poop. I don't want his dog poop on my lawn nor do I want him to do so on my sidewalk. I've had an argument with him and told him that the dog is supposed to poop in the street by the curb. If he continues, can I sue him for the cost of resodding my lawn (or at least the front portion) and cleaning the sidewalk? I'm not sure if I can stop him outright from doing this and would appreciate any help someone can provide on dog poop laws in New York City.

can I sue him for the cost of resodding my lawn (or at least the front portion) and cleaning the sidewalk?

In this great country, ANYONE is free to sue ANY OTHER person, persons, or legal entity.

Sure, you could sue your hygienically challenged neighbor, but prevailing might be impossible.

You can speak with the agency responsible for "animal control" in order to see if any ordinances are being violated.

You could also contact your city or county elected officials to see what, if any remedies, exist.

Otherwise, you might consider completely fencing in your property, if the dog poop irritates you so.

That said, feral cats, canines, squirrels, birds, rodents, even homeless humans just MIGHT be pooping in your yard, too.

In the society our laws created for us, sometimes our only option is to "grin and bear it".

grin-smile.gif

Aren't there dog curbing laws in New York City? I'd report this to whomever it is that is supposed to regulate these types of offenses. I even have videos.

Aren't there dog curbing laws in New York City? I'd report this to whomever it is that is supposed to regulate these types of offenses. I even have videos.

Yes, there are curbing laws in NYC. It's a code violation, so look up code enforcement. You might even be able to file a complaint online.

My Citiot neighbor told me he moved to the North Fork so that his dog could run free. Sorry, not picking your dog's crap in still wrong and it's still a code violation, as is letting your animal run off leash in other people's yards without their permission. I feel your pain.

My camera caught the same local person taking his dog out for a walk to poop and piss on the end of my front lawn. He doesn't ever clean up the piss

How exactly would one clean up piss on a lawn? And why?

If he continues, can I sue him for the cost of resodding my lawn (or at least the front portion) and cleaning the sidewalk?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but why would it cost anything to pick up dog poop on a sidewalk or lawn? I also seriously doubt that the occasional poop on a lawn would require re-sodding the lawn. Heck...my own dog regularly poops on my lawn. I pick it up and put it in the trash and that's that. NBD.

That said, having your dog poop on someone else's lawn and not picking it up is a poopy thing to do. Maybe contact your local police department to see if they'll be willing to issue a citation based on your video evidence.

How exactly would one clean up piss on a lawn?
TY. I was wondering the same. Use a tissue to wipe each blade dry? I can understand the "why" as it can kill the grass - I usually just pour some water to dilute the urine (I have three dogs). Same after cleaning up poop if it's a bit... uuhh... messy. Sidewalk? Water hose.

Also not getting the need to resod the entire lawn. The spot the dog pees on when/if the grass dies is all that's needed (they sell grass seed for such patching) and taking a hose to the sidewalk works just fine.

Talk to Code Enforcement and find your zen. This is not a hill to die on.

Managing a building in NYC, I'll share a little bit of info about the dog poop and piss challenges we've experienced. After COVID struck, the number of people getting pets and especially dogs seems to have skyrocketed as has the frustration level of property owners.

Nobody wants to have to spend time and potentially money to deal with other people taking their pets to your lawn and front sidewalk area to drop their offerings. Replacing grass here can be time consuming and more expensive than elsewhere in the country. Hosing down areas can also be challenging to maneuver, as grass often has built in sprinklers and water hoses kept in basements or for special purposes.

Unfortunately the level of lawlessness and general disrespect has skyrocketed here in New York City and it has reached high degrees of frustration from all types of homeowners. This also includes people treating the property of others as trash cans and NYC liberally ticketing property owners for all types of rubbish (and potentially poop) which could also create potential liability and/or legal entanglement for the property owner should someone slip.

Back