Dog ownership

Hammerheadc4

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
About 3 or 4 years ago a dog wandered into my yard, it was cold, snowing, and getting dark so I brought the dog inside and looked after him. I ended up keeping him for the weekend, saw his picture on a poster a couple days later, called the owner and returned the dog.
Out of the blue, the guy called me on 11/8/2017 and told me he could not keep the dog anymore and asked me if I would take him.
I agreed to take the dog.
The guy came to my door 12/23/2017 and said his situation has changed and he would like the dog returned to him.
I said no.
If this escalates, will I have to return the dog?

Personally, if the man was willing to reimburse me for my investment in the dog over the past couple months I would let him have the dog back.
People get very attached to pets and it seems this man really cares about the dog- enough to find it a good home rather than dump it at a shelter, and enough to come back for it when able.
He surely has a stronger bond with the animal over the years than you do over a couple months.
Kudos to you for being willing to foster the dog and give a home when needed.
No, there isn't much he can do legally if you stand your ground.

If this escalates, will I have to return the dog?

You say he "gave" you the dog, as in transferred ownership. We don't know what the other person will say in court. If he says that the agreement was for you to keep the dog temporarily like last time, a judge might give more credibility to his ownership than yours, especially since you got nothing in writing as to the transfer of ownership.

What did the guy say when you said "no"?

Back