Dog Custody Help

julieconrad89

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am looking to get some help and advice please. I have a four year old Black Lab which I adopted back in December 2013. When I adopted the dog I was with my boyfriend at the time and living with him, however he did not sign any of the adoption paperwork as at the time he did not want a dog and said that if I chose to adopt a dog it would be mine. Also when I took him to the vet when I filled out the new patient paperwork it only contained my name and not my boyfriends.

Jump to today my boyfriend and I have split up, I left the house for fear of my safety and was not able to gather any of my belongings including my dog. Since leaving my ex-boyfriend is refusing the relinquish the dog to me. The local sheriff today informed me I would need to submit a small claim in civil court to fight to get my dog back. When the sheriff talked to my ex he stated that he had not discussed relinquishing the dog to me however I have text messages that prove otherwise. Outside of the initial adoption paperwork and all of the vet records which all solely have just my name on it to this day as owner what else could I do for documentation to prove he is mine. I also had two years ago where my ex-boyfriend and I split up and he relinquished the dog to me then. After visiting my vet today I was informed my dog was brought in yesterday with some issues such as non-appetite and change in behavior so I am afraid that my ex is not taking care of my dog.

Also when we were living together I would take my dog to all his vet appointments mostly on my own and make all decisions on my own for his health and medical choices. My boyfriend would not play with him, walk him, feed him, water him, take him for baths, get nails trimmed I did it all. This is certainly my dog and I feel my ex is only keeping him out of spite to me. I want to make sure I am well prepared when I file and eventually go to court.

Is this a scenario where I may be best to hire an attorney to help me fight this battle to ensure that I win. I will also note that I have been out of residence more then 30 days, which I just learned about today as I've never been in this situation before.

Is this a scenario where I may be best to hire an attorney to help me fight this battle to ensure that I win. I will also note that I have been out of residence more then 30 days, which I just learned about today as I've never been in this situation before.

You are always FREE to HIRE a lawyer to assist you with almost anything, especially issues that involve lawsuits or crimes.

Is it worth it to fight over a dog?

That is what YOU, and YOU alone must decide.

To help you decide, speak to three lawyers near you, and you can discover what it will cost; if you can afford it, etc... before moving forward.

While many feel that their pets are members of their family, the law considers them to be property.

Back